M3S-S2-Tiny (hereafter abbreviated S2) is the sound playback system which just requires small memory. We have the various lineup of MCUs, including RX Family, which are suitable for use in applications such as single-function home appliances and compact industrial equipment, where the incorporation of more sophisticated functionality or the newest technology, with a negligible increase in cost, is desired. To support such development activities, Renesas offers software libraries with only the essential features for application, at low cost.
Use S2 to enable sound output in any device incorporating a target microcontroller. S2's original algorithm compresses and expands sound in ADPCM mode compactly at high speed. It can be used to add true sound output functionality to devices that previously only provided visual indications or beeps.
- Sound compression and expansion using Renesas-specific ADPCM format
16-bit PCM data (files in wav format) is compressed to 4-bit quantity on your PC, and the compressed 4-bit data is expanded to 16-bit PCM data on microcontroller. Then expanded 16-bit data is converted to 8- or 10-bit data according to your system's requirements.
- Two or more sound channels (playback)
The compressed data of two or more sound channels can be expanded in parallel.
- The processing of expansion being optimized MCU by MCU
The revised product can expand decompressed data 30% faster than the previous one.
e.g., MCUs of the R8C Family running at 4 MHz are capable of expanding (reproducing) sound data that has been sampled at a frequency of 8 kHz.
- Compact design tailored for embedded systems
Realizable using the internal memory of the MCUs: Approx. 0.4-Kbyte ROM and approx. 20-byte RAM (for the R8C Family case) *including the stack
- Includes sound compression/expansion utility (PC application)
Recorded sound data (in wav format) can be compressed on a PC. The compressed data can be incorporated into the microcontroller.
* The compressible formats are 16 bits quantized monaural PCM (files in wav format).
- Includes sample programs which responds to Renesas IDE.
- Learn More
|Target Device||Software Name||Version/Release Date||Status|
|RL78 Family||M3S-S2-Tiny for the RL78 Family||Latest Ver.: V.3.01 Release 00
Released: Mar 11, 2015
RL78 Family M3S-S2-Tiny: Introduction Guide - Sample Code (ZIP)
RL78/G14 Sound Playback/Compression Demonstration for RL78/G14 CPU Board - Sample Code (ZIP | English, 日本語)
* The Application Notes and Sample Code of S2 for the MCUs are available. Please download from here.