The E2 emulator is an advanced on-chip debugging emulator and flash programmer developed with the concept of greater efficiency in development. The combination of its high-speed downloading and various software and hardware solutions will contribute to reducing development times.
- High-speed download up to twice as fast as E1
The download speed is up to twice as fast as the E1 emulator. This substantially reduces waiting time for downloading the control programs to one-half at a maximum.
- CAN Communications Time Measurement Solution (for RH850 Family)
The following CAN-related tasks are possible in conjunction with the CS+ integrated development environment or the MULTI® integrated development environment (GHS MULTI) from Green Hills Software. This eases verifying the speed of CAN communications in terms of system requirements.
- Measuring the reception processing time in CAN communications with the E2 emulator alone
- Stopping a program when the reception processing time exceeds the design value
- Visualizing the history of CAN communications
- Current Consumption Tuning Solution (for RL78 and RX Families)
In conjunction with the QE for Current Consumption, a dedicated tool for measuring current drawn, the E2 emulator is capable of the following items. These shorten the time taken to tune currents.
- Measuring current with the E2 emulator alone
- Stopping a program when an excessive current is detected
- Visualizing the relationship between program operations and current
- Support for the input and output of external triggers (For RH850 Family) [Learn More: ToolNews]
For example, you can set up the stopping of programs or of the measurement of waveforms by simply using the test lead which comes with the E2 emulator to connect the emulator to an external measuring instrument with the CS+ integrated development environment or the MULTI® integrated development environment (GHS MULTI) from Green Hills Software.
- Hot plug-in function available without an optional adapter
Although the E1 emulator required an optional hot plug adapter sold separately to use the hot plug-in function, the E2 emulator does not need it.
- Board interface compatible with that of E1
he E2 emulator can be connected to the user system that was designed for the E1 emulator because the pin arrangement to be connected to the user system has compatibility with the E1 emulator. [Learn More : the optional products for E2 ]
- Support for new MCUs with next-generation cores
MCUs that have next-generation cores, such as those of the RH850/E2x series (which incorporate the G4MH core) or the RX66T group (which incorporate the new RXv3 core for the RX family) can be debugged.
- Software Trace Function (For RH850 Family)[Learn More: ToolNews]
The function enables users to view the execution history of the programs such as the values of the program counter (PC) and the register values together with the debug instructions of MCUs for RH850 family with the CS+ integrated development environment or the MULTI® integrated development environment (GHS MULTI) from Green Hills Software. Using this feature, unlike the conventional method of “tracing data with the settings of events and conditions,” users can generate the execution history data such as the PC values and register values simply by inserting the debug instructions to the location where you like to check in the program.his feature is available in all RH850 family MCUs, including the ones do not have internal trace memory when debugging.
- Learn More
Important : Precautions when using "RA Family"
Please be aware that a user-system Interface Cable will need to be purchased separately to support RA device debug using 20-10 pins. Please see Components and Optional Products or User-system Interface Cable below.
|Purpose of use||Software to be used||Target devices||Latest Version||Released||Operating Environment|
|On-chip Debugging||CS+ (CS+ for CC)
*Evaluation Software Download
|RH850, RL78, RX
Functions Supported by CS+ (PDF | English, 日本語)
|V8.06.00||Jul. 20, 2021||Operating Environment|
|RA, RE, RH850 Note2, RL78, RX
*See "Release notes".
|Oct. 06, 2021|
|Apr. 20, 2020|
|IAR Embedded Workbench Note1||RH850, RL78, RX||For the details of support for E2, contact IAR Systems.|
|Green Hills Multi Note1||RH850, R-Car D1||For the details of support for E2, contact Green Hills Software.|
|Flash Programming||Renesas Flash Programmer V3
*Evaluation Software Download
|RA, RE, RH850, RL78, RX
List of MCUs supported by Renesas Flash Programmer V3 (PDF | English, 日本語)
|V3.09.00||Oct. 13, 2021||Operating Environment|
1. As for tools produced by partners, Contact each company directly.
2. The e² studio does not support RH850-family MCUs with the next-generation G4MH core, such as those of the RH850/E2x series.
Since the supported devices differ with the software you are using, confirm details in the "Target devices" column of Release information.