RL78 Microcontrollers Help Reduce System Cost and Size
We are surrounded by electrical appliances using motors. In recent years, the variety and numbers have continued to increase, and the controls that are required have grown more diverse. After the 78K and R8C Family, the RL78 microcontrollers (MCUs) have been used in a wide range of applications that use motors. Among the broad device lineup, the RL78/G1F inherited RL78/G14 features and is highly suitable for motor control solutions. On top of the devices to realize motor control, Renesas also provides solutions to aid the development of motor control solutions.
A Variety of Capabilities
The RL78 microcontroller can be used to implement a variety of motor control functions. Here are some application examples and accomplishments.
High speed rotation control is required for cordless vacuum cleaners, drones, and other small motor applications. Experiments using the RL78/G1F have seen confirmed rotations of more than 500 krpm. We are preparing high-speed rotation solutions to assist in the development of cordless vacuum cleaners.
Position Estimation at Stop
In general, it is difficult to detect the position of a motor with sensorless control when it is stopped, because detection relies on the induced voltage generated by the rotor. With the RL78/G1F, you can use the polarity of the motor to detect the position when stopped.
The automatic adjustment software for a refrigerator compressor using the RL78/G1F identifies the motor parameters and control gain, and the compressor can be driven instantly with 1-shunt sensorless vector control.
High-Speed Rotation Solution
- High-speed rotation at 20 krpm (mechanical angle) or higher can be realized
- The motor settings can be changed (input voltage: 12V to 50V)
- The control parameters can be easily adjusted
- The Renesas Motor Workbench development support tool can be used to adjust these settings easily
|Communication board for tools||USB-Serial converter board|
|Control software||Sensorless rectangular wave control
RL78/G1F Sensorless 120-degree conducting control for permanent magnetic synchronous motor (high-speed rotation) (ZIP)
|Development Support Tool||Renesas Motor Workbench|
|Documents||Schematic, BOM, application note|
1. Starter Kits and Inverters for Evaluation
|Product Name||Product Number||Vendor||Remarks|
|24V Motor Control Evaluation System (RSSK)||RTK0EM0006S01212BJ||Renesas Electronics||DC24V input 5A peak, motor included|
|Trial Series Inverter Unit (High Voltage)||T1001, T1102, T1003||Desk Top Laboratories||AC110V/230V input 300VA to 4KVA|
|Trial Series Inverter Unit (Low Voltage)||T2001, T2003, T2005, T2006, T2007||Desk Top Laboratories||DC24V/48V input 5A peak to 100A peak|
|Brushless Motor Starter Kit||BLM_EV6||Hokuto Electronic||DC 7.2V input 2A peak, motor included|
- Easily evaluate motor control using an MCU
- Sample software such as vector control and rectangular wave control is available
- Renesas Motor Workbench development support tool is provided
- Wide range from low to high voltage
- Useful for evaluation and development
- The ICS++ Development Support Tool is available
Optional boards for the Evaluation System for BLDC Motor and 24V Motor Control Evaluation System for RX23T. You can purchase additional CPU cards and swap them out to allow motor control with various microcontrollers.
|RL78/G14||RTK0EML130C06000BJ||Renesas Electronics||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||64-pin|
|RL78/G14||T5101||Desk Top Laboratories||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||64-pin|
|RL78/G14||T5105||Desk Top Laboratories||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||32-pin|
|RL78/G1F||RTK0EML240C03000BJ||Renesas Electronics||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||64-pin|
|RL78/G1F||T5103||Desk Top Laboratories||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||64-pin|
|RL78/G1F||HSBRL78G1F-64||Hokuto Electronic||Brushless Motor Starter Kit||64-pin|
|RL78/G1G||T5104||Desk Top Laboratories||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||32-pin|
|RL78/G1M||T5108||Desk Top Laboratories||RSSK, Trial Series Inverter Unit||20-pin|
2. GDB01 Inverter for Evaluation
- Wide voltage range and high current (input voltage of 12 to 50V, peak current of 30A)
- Various types of BLDC motor control are possible (3-shunt, 1-shunt, encoder, Hall, sensorless, FOC, trapezoidal)
- Renesas Motor Workbench with a tool communication board (or ICS) is provided
- Input Voltage: DC 12 to 50V
- Input Current Limit: 30[A]＠ shunt 10mΩ
- Current Detection Method: 3-shunt and 1-shunt (DC Link)
- Target Motor: BLDC Motor
- Dead Time: more than 1µs
- Heat dissipation: Natural air cooling with heat sink
- RL78/G1F Motor Driver Board GB01 User's Manual (PDF | English, 日本語) (with circuit diagram and BOM list)
3. MCU Simulator Online
Initial evaluation of the RL78 can easily be started online.
The MCU Simulator Online can be used for the following:
- Checking the terminal output for register settings
- Estimating processing time
- Debugging variable watch functions in software
|Control method||120-degree conducting control|
Sample Software and Application Notes
|120-degree conducting control (Hall sensor & sensorless)||RL78/G1F 120-degree conducting control of permanent magnetic synchronous motor (Implementation) (ZIP)
RL78/G1M 120-degree conducting control of permanent magnetic synchronous motor (Implementation) (ZIP)
|120-degree conducting control with initial position detection function (sensorless)||RL78/G1F Sensorless speed control of 120-degree conducting controlled permanent magnetic synchronous motor with detection of initial position (Implementation) (ZIP | English, 日本語)|
|Vector control (sensorless) 3-shunt current detection||RL78/G1F Sensorless vector control for permanent magnetic synchronous motor (ZIP)|
|Vector control (sensorless) 1-shunt current detection||RL78/G1F*|
*Please contact a sales/distributor location to obtain more information.
RL78 Motor Control MCU Lineup
For details on each solution, please contact a sales/distributor location.