Firmware Integration Technology (FIT) simplifies embedding peripheral function module drivers and allows portability between RX microcontrollers, with the aim of reducing the burden of program development and software resource management in software development using the RX Family.
Features of FIT
FIT lays out clear rules for sample code (middleware and drivers) provided for RX Family devices as follows.
- MCU initial settings
- How to define a target board
- File configuration
- Names of functions
- Common interface with user application
Conventionally, the above information has in many cases varied by sample code, so changes needed to be made to sample code when embedding into a user application. With FIT, there are rules for this information, so each sample code can be embedded into a user application with ease. Also, the peripheral function drivers and middleware which support FIT have a common interface with user applications. This makes it easy to port user applications when migrating between RX microcontrollers.
Easy Embedding to Project Generated by Integrated Development Environment
The e2 studio integrated development environment (IDE) which is based on the globally popular Eclipse open source IDE has a GUI (plug-in feature) for embedding FIT modules. Using this feature, FIT modules can be embedded with ease into projects generated in e2 studio. FIT modules also support CS+.
Configuration of FIT
FIT consists of a Board Support Package (BSP), peripheral function modules, middleware modules, and interface modules.
- Module that performs initial MCU settings, clock settings, board settings, and so on
- Peripheral Function Modules
- Drivers that control the peripheral functions of a RX microcontroller
- Middleware Modules
- Middleware function such as TCP/IP and file system
- Interface Modules
- Common interfaces such as POSIX API
Advantages of FIT
1. Embed Peripheral Function Modules With Ease
Drivers and Middleware Supporting FIT
Peripheral function modules and middleware modules that support FIT operate in a common MCU basic setting (BSP).
Conventional Drivers and Middleware
2. Migrate Between RX Microcontrollers With Ease
Drivers and Middleware Suppoting FIT
Once FIT is supported, the APIs of peripheral driver modules and middleware modules have common specifications. The MCU can be switched easily to another MCU.
Conventional Driver and Middleware
Sample code and middleware which do not support FIT do not have a common API. Migrating between products takes many man-hours.
Please refer to the following before implementing FIT modules.
- Firmware Integration Technology User's Manual
- RX Family Adding Firmware Integration Technology Modules to Projects (When Using e2 studio as Integrated Development Environment)
- RX Family Adding Firmware Integration Technology Modules to Projects (When Using CS+ as Integrated Development Environment)
- Board Support Package Module
- RX Family Guide for Porting the FIT Project to the Other RX Family
- FIT Modules Supported by Device Group
RX Driver Package Supported devices
|Series||Group||FIT Modules Used|
|RX||RX110, RX111, RX113, RX130, RX210, RX230, RX231, RX23T, RX24T, RX24U, RX63N, RX64M, RX65N, RX651, RX66T, RX71M||RX Family RX Driver Package Ver.1.17|
Application Sample Code
|Supported Devices||Package Name||Application and Downloads||R Number English Version|
|RX113||File System, USB, LCDC||On-chip Flash Memory Programming Solution using USB Memory||1.01|
|RX231||Capacitive Touch Sensing Unit, File System, USB||On-chip Flash Memory Programming Solution using Built-in Capacitive Touch Sensing Unit and USB Memory||1.01|
|RX64M, RX71M||Ethernet, TCP/IP, File System, USB, CMT, HTTP||TCP/IP Protocol Stack Based Network Solution for Industrial Applications (Under development)||1.02|
|RX64M||Ethernet, TCP/IP, File System, PDC, DMAC, SCI, CMT, HTTP||Sensor solution which utilizes a camera||1.00|
|RX64M||Ethernet, TCP/IP, File System, USB, PDC, SDHI, SSI, ADPCM, JPEG, IIC, DMAC, DTC, SCI, CMT, HTTP||RX64M Group The camera function and The Sound Play Function Demonstration using the HMI expansion board RX Driver Package Application||1.00|