Endorsing the UN Global Compact Reinforces Renesas’ Commitment to Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
TOKYO, Japan, 2021 ― Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE:6723), a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today announced it has become a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), the world’s largest voluntary initiative to implement universal sustainability principles. As a participating company, Renesas will further align its sustainability strategy with the ten UNGC principles in the four areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact are the universally accepted principles that derives from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, and the United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
By endorsing the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact, Renesas pledges to undertake the following:
- Support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights
- Make sure that Renesas is not complicit in human rights abuses
- Uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining
- Eliminate all forms of forced and compulsory labour
- Ensure the effective abolition of child labour
- Eliminate discrimination in respect of employment and occupation
- Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
- Work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery
"This is another step forward in our aim to build a more sustainable society and is a further demonstration of our commitment to embed sustainability throughout our company,” said Hidetoshi Shibata, President and CEO at Renesas. “As a company with a global presence and about 19,000 employees worldwide, we recognize our responsibility to address societal and environmental needs. We are committed to protecting the rights and ensuring a safe workplace for our employees and developing environmentally-conscious products that make a lasting impact on our planet.”
Renesas has submitted its Communication on Progress letter for 2021, and will continue to adopt company-wide measures and amend policies in order to support the ten principles of the UN Global Compact and fulfill its responsibilities to our customers, suppliers, stakeholders and the communities it operates in. Please refer to our Sustainability Website for Renesas’ efforts and initiatives.
About Renesas Electronics Corporation
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) delivers trusted embedded design innovation with complete semiconductor solutions that enable billions of connected, intelligent devices to enhance the way people work and live. A global leader in microcontrollers, analog, power, and SoC products, Renesas provides comprehensive solutions for a broad range of automotive, industrial, infrastructure, and IoT applications that help shape a limitless future. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.