Sensorless vector control attracts attention by driving brushless DC (BLDC) motor (permanent magnet synchronous motor) at high efficiency and low cost.
This complicated control method is originally difficult to implement, yet with our easy-to-understand summarized procedure and tutorials, even beginners can start sensorless vector control within one day.
Renesas Solution Starter Kit
RX23T, equipped with FPU (Floating Point operation Unit) is the most suitable microcontroller for sensorless vector control solution.
- BLDC Motor x 1
- Inverter Board x 1
- RX23T (64-pin) CPU card x 1
* CPU card is also available for RX24T, RX24U, RL78/G1F… etc. By using these optional items (sold separately), other motor control microcontrollers can also be evaluated.
Watch the introduction video and see what the kit can provide.
- Control rotation speed of BLDC motor simply by turning on power and volume resistor on the board. *1
- Various sample software released on our website can be used for program writing.
- By connecting PC and board with USB, motor control parameter can be displayed real time on PC in an oscilloscope-like graphic form (increase debugging efficiency, shorten development period).
- Since it is possible to check operation while changing parameters, it is easy to evaluate and optimize the control algorithm using RSSK platform.
- Auto-tuning (both motor characterization and control parameters estimate) are achieved with simple steps.
*1 There are two ways to rotate the motor with this kit- board switch and volume resistor operation & Renesas Motor Workbench. In the initial status when the kit was purchased, operation from the board is set as default program, and operation from Renesas Motor Workbench is the default of the sample programs published on our website. These operation methods can be switched. For more details, please refer to the sample program application notes.
Know the specification details and features of motor solution kit, motor control software and support tool!
Development Support Tool
Motor control contains various know-how and adjusting, debugging often requires a large number of man-hours and expenses. By using Renesas development support tool - Renesas Motor Workbench, these problems can be solved and excellent cost-to-performance ratio can be highly expected.
Renesas Motor Workbench 2.0 was released in November 2018. As well as improving the operability of the GUI, several new features have been added. Please see the following video for details of the new features.
Visualization increased debugging and evaluation efficiency!
- Writable variables & real time waveform display
- Display, trigger setting control parameters in an oscilloscope-like graphic form
- Action profile creation, analysis and manipulation are possible
Auto-adjust parameters for vector control with no specialized knowledge needed!
- Auto-extract motor parameters such as resistance and inductance, and control parameters such as PI gain by entering rated current and number of pole pairs of the motor and pressing Start button
- Immediate usage of output parameters for motor rotation and fine adjustment is possible. Final result can be output to header file
* Tuner feature is not applicable to RL78 family.
* Motor control development support tool is not applicable to RL78/G1G.
Evaluation Kit / Tool Demonstration
1. Motor RSSK [Set-up]
- Introduction of what's included
- Board connection
- Motor control by power-on and volume resistor operation
2. Renesas Motor Workbench [Set-up]
- PC software installation
- Device driver installation
3. Motor Control Software [Download]
4. Analyzer [Basic]
- Display, dynamic writing of microcontroller internal variables
- Real-time waveform display of microcontroller internal variables
Display motor control internal variables in an oscilloscope-like graphic form!
5. Tuner [Basic]
- Auto-adjust parameters for sensorless vector control
- Output parameter results for motor control usage
Immediate sensorless vector control achievable without requiring special know-how!
6. Analyzer + Tuner [Application]
- Display waveforms of trigger set internal variables during motor start up
- Confirm reference speed value and motor rotation speed
- Change control parameters and control traceability and stability
Adjust motor control parameters by monitoring motor’s behavior and internal variable waveform at the same time
7. Math function
Add the calculated waveform of the user setting to the displayed variable.
- The waveform acquired by Scope function can be displayed after calculation.
- Calculations between waveforms are possible.
Specifiable functions: Delay, Sin, Cos, Tan, Atan, Square root, Power, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction
8. Status Indicator
When the variable meets user-specified conditions, it notifies by the change of the rotating light color.
- Multiple variables can be monitored.
- Multiple conditions can be set for one variable.
- Display information matching the conditions as a log on the list screen.
9. Increase the number of waveform display candidate channels
Easy switching of waveform display variables.
- Holds a lot of user configured channel information
- Whether to display the waveform can be switched by Check Box ON / OFF
10. Alias Name
Display the confusing variable name with a user-defined alias.
- Changed display of long variable names and confusing variable names as aliases
- Switching can be set for each variable
Software / Application Note
Integrated Development Environment (CS+, e2 studio)
* Includes free evaluation version for linkable object size under 128KB.
Sample code and application notes for each type of motor control. My Renesas ID is required.
24V Motor Control Evaluation System for RX23T
Permanent magnet synchronous motor (brushless DC motor)
|Control method||Download application notes about algorithm||Download application notes & sample code about implementation||Integrated development environment|
|Hall 120-degree conducting control||120-degree conducting control (algorithm)||RX23T RX24T RL78/G1F
|Sensorless 120-degree conducting control||RX23T RX24T RL78/G1F
|Sensorless 120-degree conducting control (with initial position detect function )||RL78/G1F*3||CS+
|Sensorless vector control||Vector control (speed) (algorithm)||RX66T (MTU/GPT)*4 RX23T RX24T, RX24U
RL78/G1F (1 shunt) *2 *3
RL78/G1F (3 shunt) *2
|Encoder vector control||Vector control (position) (algorithm)||RX66T (MTU/GPT)*4 RX23T RX24T, RX24U||CS+
Click here for RL78/G1F Sensorless BLDC motor initial rotor position detection Software & Application notes >>*3
*1 : Uses partner board.
*2 : For obtaining information, please contact sales / distributor.
*3 : To operate the program targeted by this application note, it is necessary to modify the circuit of Renesas Solution Starter Kit 24V Motor Control Evaluation System for RX23T. If you modify the circuit, other programs for Renesas Solution Starter Kit 24V Motor Control Evaluation System for RX23T will not be able to operate Regarding circuitmodification, we do not guarantee the operation of this program after amendment.
*4 : Two types of timer (MTU / GPT) setting are implemented as PWM output timer, and it can be selected at compile time.