Power Line Communication (PLC) is a communication method that uses power lines as the medium. By using power lines as the communication network, it is possible to build a system quickly at low cost. For this reason, PLC is used for communications in the field of smart meters to enable smart infrastructure. Communication data can be propagated through AC or DC power lines. Therefore, PLC can be applied to various applications such as smart metering, lighting, HVAC, fire detection, and submersible pumps.
R9A06G037 is a narrow band PLC modem that uses the low frequency band of 10k ~ 500kHz and employs multi-carrier (OFDM) technology for superior robustness and long distant communication over 1km. It is also possible to achieve even longer distances using multi-hop communication.
- Renesas provides power line communication solutions such as evaluation boards, evaluation tools, software stacks, circuit diagrams, and other support for easy development and implementation.
- Evaluation boards optimized for AC lines and DC lines are available. By using these boards, the customer can immediately evaluate the communication performance of PLCs. Renesas also prepares hardware documents such as board schematics, BOM lists and PCB layout guides to support customer board development.
- The "Communication Test Tool", "Network Test Tool", and "PLC Sniffer" are available as evaluation tools. With these tools, the customer can visualize power line communication in a user environment and analyze changes in communication status.
- Provides software stacks that support major global PLC standards (G3-PLC, PRIME, Meters and More) free of charge in a library format. This greatly reduces the time and cost required for the development and certification of large-scale multi-hop networks. In addition, Renesas' original software stacks are also available for simple and easy application implementation of peer-to-peer communication. Customers can select the optimal solution according to user application scale.
- Case for AC line, a zero-crossing detection circuit using the compact and high-precision RV1S2211A photocoupler can be added for higher performance communication.
- Smart metering
- Fire detection
- Submersible pumps
- Smart home appliance control
- Building security