This time, I would like to introduce the efforts instrument cluster system by our in-vehicle automotive semiconductor solution.
The instrument cluster system is what informs to driver the important for driving information such as speed and telltale. And it is a mandatory system for safe driving and are therefore mounted in all mainstream vehicles.
Currently, the driver assistance function and autonomous driving development are progressing rapidly, causing the number of connections between the instrument cluster and various sensors, information, and control devices to increase. This is leading to an increased amount of information that the instrument cluster has to display and realize, including complex visualization information on nearby vehicles while driving. At the same time, from the point of view of safety, the need for increased visibility is increasing, and it is necessary to render graphics smoothly. Now fully digital cluster system rendered by automotive LCD displays become standard, and system evolution continues onward from there.
- Cluster digitalization can support increased safety critical content and provide more user convenience. For example, it is possible to concurrently show a local map via smartphone connection and to safely warn driver using DMS (Driver Monitoring System).
- Furthermore, Integrated Cockpit System growth is accelerating due to continued focus on CASE (Connected Autonomous Shared Services & Electronic)
In summary, inurement cluster system needs to keep robustness even though the system integration will be considered.
Concretely, current solutions are using system isolation implemented by a hypervisor system, and developing highly robust systems across all applications.
Renesas can realize a simpler solution to provide benefits such as: “High Performance”, “ Low Cost” and “High Robustness“.
R-Car Gen3 has 2 types of CPU and GPU. And it can isolate the cluster system using a highly robust core (“CRx”) that includes a dual lock step operation, and a cluster GPU with over 10 years of history and performance in production instrument cluster systems.
- Therefore, It is possible to easily isolate the instrument cluster from other system such as IVI without hypervisor. Of course, a hypervisor is needed for integrated cockpit system that has multiple applications and complex operation, and it can utilize this CPU/GPU isolation technology for an instrument cluster easily with a hypervisor solution.
- It is possible for cluster system to quickly bring up display, sound, and camera using simple RTOS on the CRx real time core.
- It is possible to realize high a performance system with each CPU and GPU operating simultaneously.
- With the above techniques, It is possible to utilize the same cluster software completely from Low-end to High-end systems by R-Car H3/M3/M3N/E3 lineup.
We are always addressing to develop for proposing and providing suitable solution that is optimized performance, functions and system cost to customer.
Please look forward to Renesas system technology for automotive.