When there are more humans and machines working, communicating and operating simultaneously at high speed in the same manufacturing floor, the more safely automation is required. The Functional Safety Standard been widely applied globally as de facto, growing at over CAGR 8% which is similar to whole industrial automation. Although the market slowdown due to COVID-19 pandemic, the necessity for safer factory environment continues.
With the experience in both Sales and Marketing for Industrial Automation, I will share the challenges of what most customers are facing and the solutions in this blog.
What are your challenges?
Renesas been in this field since 2014 and received tons of questions till today. Below are the most common comments I got from them. Some might be your déjà vu?
- I don’t know where to start!
- I need a guidebook!
- How to pass the certification?
- Overview of the process and what document is needed. I have submitted tons of document whenever requested by Certifier but did not know why and how those were used. How can I manage the asset when starting the next project without knowing what is required?
- It’s too much hassle to design the HW referring to the standard. No time to start from scratch!
Renesas will help you!
We all know IEC61508, though to realize in real system is the challenge. Renesas been releasing multiple certified SWs and compiler for MCU, verified boards for reference, and the guidebook for implementing IEC61508. All these will help in shortening the certification process. Let’s zoom into the benefits it brings.
No SW development and certification paperwork on MCU required, focus on your system development.
- TÜV Rheinland Certified Self-test SW and SIL3 System SW provides all the diagnosis and safety task of MCU.
Easiest HW safety system development.
- Reference HW Board, a verified board with diagnosis & monitoring circuit required by standard. This know-how packed board allows you to copy-and-paste to your own safety system.
Concept phase preparation is easier than before.
- Reference Document is the guidebook of IEC61508 on getting certification. Also, refers to IEC61800-5-2 (safety for motor) and IEC13849 (safety for machinery) for safety application e.g. Safety Drive, I/Os, and Networks. You’ll get the template document for Concept Phase so just add your product specification into the template, then boom! the documents for concept phase is ready.
If you have the right deliverable at the right timing, certification is a smooth process and this is what Renesas solution are for.
Safety application use case
In here, I would like to show you some application example based on Renesas solution for safe motor control of AC Drive. First figure shows the total system overview and the second figure focused on safety motor control. Find more application examples in the white paper.
Figure 1: Safety System Overview
Figure 2: Safety Motor Control System
This safety system is realized by two Renesas MCUs, RX72N monitoring motor control device of RX66T/ RX72T. The RX72N functions as a safety MCU using certified safety software to proceed two safety tasks.
- Safe motor control (STO, SS1, SS2.)
- Safe network communication by FSoE (Functional Safety over EtherCAT).
How it works - When an unsafe condition is recognized in the entire industrial system, such as abnormal motor behaviors, speed or emergency stop signal is triggered by the safety sensor (Figure 1), the two safety MCUs will shut off the motor power so that system can move to a safe state. The safety PLC delivers the emergency stop signal from the safety sensor to the safety RX72N MCU (Figure 2) through the safety network of FSoE. The RX72N sends an instruction (SS1 control) to the PLC to stop the motor by gradually reducing the rotation speed of the motor. After the emergency stop signal was triggered for a certain period of time, the motor power is shut off and stopped (STO control) to put the system back in a safe state.
Real Life Examples
Through my multiple years of experience to bring functional safety solution to customers, I received many good feedbacks after adopting our Solution.
Customer was struggling the development for more than a year. Just as she is about to give up, I came in to introduce Safety Solution. After using the Renesas Safety Solution and the resources we have in place to support her, she successfully got the certification.
In another occasion, one Director told me “Your certified SW, tool, documents and board make the development of functional safety with ease and fast release to the market. This is when I strongly felt this solution is for you.
For more information, please visit Renesas Industrial Functional Safety website or watch the webinar that guides you from the start to kick off your development. We are looking forward to chat with you.