The ISL8280MEVAL1Z evaluation board is designed for evaluating the ISL8280M single channel step-down, synchronous DC/DC power supply modules that are capable of delivering up 10A of continuous current. The proprietary Renesas R4 Technology control scheme has extremely fast transient performance, accurately regulated frequency control, and all internal compensation. The ISL8280M includes an SMBus/PMBus/I2C interface for module configuration, telemetry (VIN, VOUT, IOUT, and temperature) and fault reporting, and allows for easy R4 loop optimization that results in fast transient performance across a wide range of applications, which includes all ceramic output filters. The ISL8280M integrates the controller, all power components, and most passive components. The device requires only a few external components to operate, which significantly reduces design complexity and board space, and it optimizes for high power density applications without the need for airflow or a heatsink.
The ISL828xMEVAL1Z evaluation boards are a 3in x 3.4in 6-layer FR4 boards with 2oz. copper on all layers. The boards operate from a single 4.5V to 15V wide input power rail and offer adjustable output voltages down to 0.5V and efficiencies of up to 95%. The ISL828xMEVAL1Z comes with placeholders for pin-strap resistors to program output voltage, PFM/PWM mode, temperature compensation (TCOMP), PMBus address, switching frequency (fSW), AV gain, OCP retry/latchoff, ultrasonic PFM enable, soft-start ramp rate, RR impedance, and AV gain multiplier (1x or 2x).
The ISL8280MEVAL1Z ships with the ISLUSBEVAL1Z (USB to PMBus adapter), which connects the evaluation board to a PC to activate the PMBus communication interface. The PMBus command set is accessed by using the Renesas PowerNavigator™ evaluation software from a PC running Microsoft Windows. The boards can operate in pin-strap mode without needing the ISLUSBEVAL1Z adapter or PMBus communication.
By default, the boards are set to a 1V output voltage with a 400kHz switching frequency, 49 AV gain, and 200kΩ RR.
- Input voltage range: 4.5V to 15V, capable of delivering up to 10A of continuous current, and up to 95% conversion efficiency
- Adjustable output voltage: 0.5V to 5V with ±1.5% load/line/temperature regulation with remote sense
- Proprietary Renesas R4 Technology
- Programmable VOUT, PFM/PWM mode, TCOMP, PMBus address, fSW, AV gain, OCP retry/latchoff, ultrasonic PFM enable, soft-start ramp rate, RR, and AV gain multiplier
- Monitor: VIN, VOUT, IOUT, temperature, switching frequency, duty cycle, and faults
- Startup into precharged load
- Dedicated enable pin and PGOOD indicator
- Comprehensive fault protection for high system reliability: over-temperature protection, output overcurrent and short-circuit protection, output overvoltage and undervoltage protection, open remote sense protection, input UVLO and power sequence, and fault reset
- Thermally enhanced 12mm x 11mm x 5.3mm HDA package
- Compatible with Renesas PowerNavigator software
- Servers, telecom, storage, and datacom
- Industrial/ATE and networking equipment
- Graphics cards
- General purpose power for ASIC, FPGA, DSP, and memory