The ISL9241EVAL1Z evaluation board is designed to demonstrate the performance of the ISL9241. From the PROG pin to GND, the resistor can be used to program the default value numbers of the battery in series, the switching frequency, and the adapter current limit charging function. The default value numbers can also be set by SMBus.
The ISL9241 is a configurable buck-boost Narrow Output Voltage DC (NVDC) and Hybrid Power Buck-Boost (HPBB) combo charger that uses the advanced Renesas R3™ Technology to provide high light-load efficiency, fast transient response, and seamless DCM/CCM transitions for a variety of mobile and industrial applications.
In Charge mode, the ISL9241 takes input power from a wide range (4V to 20V) of DC power sources (conventional AC/DC charger adapters, USB PD ports, travel adapters, etc.) and safely charges battery packs with up to four cells in a series configuration.
The ISL9241 supports On-the-Go (OTG) functionality for 2- and 4-cell battery applications. When OTG function is enabled, the ISL9241 operates in Reverse Buck mode to provide 5V at the USB port.
Serial communication through SMBus/I2C allows programming of many critical parameters to deliver a customized solution. These programming parameters include, but are not limited to, adapter current limit, charger current limit, system voltage setting, and trickle charging current limit.
- Buck-boost NVDC and HPBB charger for 2-, 3-, and 4-cell Li-ion batteries
- Autonomous End of Charge (EOC) option
- System power monitor PSYS output
- PROCHOT# open-drain output
- Allows trickle charging of depleted battery
- Supplemental power (Intel VMIN active protection)
- Ideal diode control in Turbo mode
- Reverse buck, boost, and buck-boost operation from battery
- Two-level adapter current limit available
- Battery Ship mode option
- SMBus and auto-increment I2C compatible
- 2- to 4-cell tablets, notebooks, power banks, and any USB-C interface portable device requiring batteries