The Renesas Flexible Software Package (FSP) is an enhanced software package designed to provide easy-to-use, scalable, high-quality software for embedded system designs using Renesas RA family of Arm Microcontrollers. With the support of new Arm® TrustZone® and other advanced security features, FSP provides a quick and versatile way to build secure, connected IoT devices using production-ready drivers, Azure® RTOS, FreeRTOS™, and other middleware stacks.
FSP includes best-in-class HAL drivers with high performance and low memory footprint. Middleware stacks with Azure RTOS and FreeRTOS integration are included to ease implementation of complex modules like communication and security. The e² studio IDE provides support with intuitive configurators and intelligent code generation to make programming and debugging easier and faster.
FSP uses an open software ecosystem and provides flexibility in using bare-metal programming, included Azure RTOS or FreeRTOS, your preferred RTOS, legacy code, and third-party ecosystem solutions.
- Small memory footprint HAL drivers
- Intuitive configurator and code generator
- Static and dynamic analysis using industry-standard tools
- Application support using RTOS and non-RTOS environments
- Newly added Azure RTOS and its middleware stacks with Flexible Software Package
- Azure RTOS ThreadX, NetX Duo & Add-ons, USBX, GUIX & GUIX Studio, FileX, TraceX, exFAT, LevelX, NetX Duo Secure & NetX Crypto (HW acceleration)
- FreeRTOS support – Includes Kernel and set of software libraries
- FreeRTOS Kernel, FreeRTOS-Plus-TCP, Core MQTT, Core HTTP/HTTPS, Task pool, Secure Sockets
- Tool configurable RTOS resources (Threads, mutexes, etc.)
- Middleware stacks from Renesas and third parties.
- TCP/IP and other connectivity protocol stacks including MQTT
- USB middleware support for CDC, HID, and MSC
- Wireless connectivity through Wi-Fi and BLE 5.0
- File System support with FreeRTOS+FAT and LittleFS
- Storage (Block Media) support for SDMMC, SPI and USB.
- Virtual EEPROM on Flash
- Capacitive touch middleware to implement widgets like Button, Slider and Wheels.
- Motor control algorithms
- Secure Bootloader through MCUboot
- Sensor Module APIs
- TrustZone support (for applications on CM33 based MCUs)
- TrustZone enabled drivers and middleware
- Easy to use tool support for TrustZone configuration
- PSA Level 2 Certified
- AWS qualified for FreeRTOS
- Easy connectivity options to major cloud providers
- Secure connections through NetX Duo Secure and Mbed TLS
- Cryptographic APIs and integrated Hardware Acceleration support
- Arm PSA Cryptographic APIs
- Azure RTOS NetX Crypto APIs
- Ultimate security with FSP Crypto APIs (SCE9 protected mode)
- TinyCrypt targeting constrained devices
- Graphics interface support and tools
- Segger emWin (RA customers can use Segger emWin graphic tools and libraries for free from Downloads below)
- Azure RTOS GUIX and GUIX Studio (available free on Microsoft Apps Store)
- Secure debugging capabilities
- Extensive tool support from Renesas and leading third-party solutions
- Integrated package with all required components for easy setup and starting development (single installer with e2 studio, CMSIS packs, tool chain and Segger J-Link drivers)
- Complete source code available through GitHub
Azure RTOS in Flexible Software Package
Renesas is now partnering with Microsoft to include Azure RTOS, an embedded development suite including Azure RTOS ThreadX and its middleware stacks into Flexible Software Package to provide a small size and powerful operating system along with RA MCUs.
Azure RTOS middleware stacks pre-integrated with FSP will enable users to make use of the secure, scalable, and open edge-to-cloud Internet of Things solutions provided by the Azure IoT.