Flash Development Module - FDM
The Flash Development Module (FDM) is a USB interface board used to control the mode and reset pins of the target device as well as providing USB<->Serial conversion. It can be used in conjunction with FDT for programming Renesas H8 and SH Flash microcontrollers via the PC USB port.
The FDM has been designed as a replacement for the Universal Programming Board (UPB) as supplied with first-generation Evaluation Boards, but using the host PC's USB interface instead of the serial port.
- Simple PC-USB plug’n’play programming of on-chip Flash
- through standard MCU UART Boot mode.
- Used by Renesas PC software tools:-
- FDT v2.2 and v3.1Flash programming software
- HEW v2.2 (HMon debugger, under consideration)
- Can improve download speed (over PC-RS232 interface):-
- Standard baud rates (115Kbaud)
- non standard baud rates (300Kbaud)
- clock-synchronous (under consideration) (2Mb/sec)
- Suitable ALL H8 / SH MCU, 1.8 to 5V (even split voltage levels).
- Algorithms are QA tested code
- Fully automated Boot mode control and auto-sensing of connection.
- Warns if supply voltage drifts from configurable limits.
- Initially FDT2.2 and 3.1, supports all new EDKs (14-way connector).
- From FDT 3.1, configurable support for user’s own target board.
- Uses PC USB interface
- Includes support for low voltage devices (3.3 - 5.0V)
- Target voltage follow circuitry for automatic adjustment to target voltage levels
- Separate core (uVcc) and serial voltage (pVcc) support
- In field self upgradability over USB for FDM firmware upgrading.
- Autostart function on target voltage stability detection
- Microsoft Windows™ 98, ME, 2000 or XP
- (USB not fully supported under Windows 95 or Windows NT)
- FDT 2.2 (Flash Development Toolkit) or above required (support for increased messaging, run-time selection of mode pin settings and
- Multiple FDMs supported from FDT 3.1
- Support for non-standard baud rates planned in FDT for use with the FDM
- Future support for fast FLASH programming planned Q4 2003
- Support for clock synchronous communication planned in FDT for use with the FDM
User Documents for the Flash Development Module
FDM Quick Start Guide - PDF [149kB]