True Low Power
The RL78 microcontrollers (MCUs) offer three low power modes that maximize battery life by disabling idle CPU features.
SNOOZE mode sequencer (as of 2023, only RL78/G23, G22 have this function)
This function makes it so that you do not need to wake up the CPU for receiving data. The unique SNOOZE mode allows some peripherals, i.e., ADC and UART, to operate while in standby modes. The RL78/G23 and RL78/G22 have the SNOOZE ｍode sequencer, which can operate most peripheral functions while in SNOOZE mode. The SNOOZE mode sequencer realizes even lower power consumption for applications.
The RL78 MCUs include HALT and STOP modes
- HALT mode disables CPU operation saving as much as 80% of total MCU current, whilst allowing fast CPU enable time
- STOP mode achieves lowest power consumption by disabling more CPU functions
Power Consumption Values
RL78 MCUs Offer an Unprecedented Lineup
- Over 1000 devices
- Available in 8- to 144-pin packages and 1KB to 768KB Flash
Excellent pin compatibility
- Scalability is maintained because the general location of peripheral function pins and input/output pins remains the same even when the pin count changes. Customers can continue to use the RL78 Family of microcontrollers with confidence in the future.
- Customers can use standardized boards for product models ranging from the low-end to the high-end and boost the efficiency of the verification process.
Peripheral I/O Re-direction (PIOR) capability remaps functions to alternate ports
- Due to layout or peripheral pin sharing constraint, there may be conflicts for existing peripheral I/O pin assignments
- Optimize peripheral pin functionality by easing function bottlenecks on a pin
RL78 microcontrollers with CPU core employing three-stage pipeline and Harvard architecture
RL78 CPU processing performance is overwhelming other MCU vendors' CPU cores.
- 16-bit CPU Core with Pipelining
- Efficient Instruction Execution -> 86% in 1-2 Cycles
- Single Cycle Multiplication (HW Math Assist)
- DMA Engine (up to 4 channels)
|HW Assist for Math||Operation||Clock Cycles|
|16bit Barrel Shifter for Shift and Rotate||16bit n Shift/Rotate (n = 1 to 15)||1|
|Multiply Signed & Unsigned||16 × 16 = 32 Bit Result||1|
|Multiply/Accumulate Signed & Unsigned||16 × 16 + 32 = 32 Bit Result||2|
System Cost Reduction
Microcomputer Built-in Functions
- Reset circuit
- Low power detection circuit
- Watchdog timer
- High-precision (1%) on-chip oscillator
- Data flash memory
- Temperature sensor
- Multi power supply interface port
High Quality and Safety
Hardware for IEC/UL 60730 Compliance
Hardware Development Tools
A low-cost on-chip debugging emulator and a full-spec emulator are available. You can select the environment that best matches your debugging needs.
E2 and E2 Lite On-chip Debugging Emulator
The E1 emulator provides a wide range of support for Renesas microcontrollers at low cost.
IECUBE In-circuit Emulators
Comprehensive break functions, trace functions useful for analyzing illegal operations, time measurement functions for measuring maximum/minimum/average program execution times, coverage functions for measuring program execution coverage rate, and more, are equipped as standards.
Learn more about IECUBE for the RL78 Family
Various evaluation boards
Fast Prototyping Board、Renesas Starter Kit、CPU Board etc.
Learn more about RL78 Family Development Environment
Software Development Tools
The CS+ integrated development environment (IDE) with a track record of "easy operation and easy support", a real-time OS compliant with the μITRON specification, and the PG-FP6 flash programmer, and Smart Configurator are available. We provide strong support for application development.