True Low Power
The RL78 microcontrollers (MCUs) offer three low power modes that maximize battery life by disabling idle CPU features.
The RL78 Snooze mode features include the following.
- No need to wake up CPU for receiving data
- The unique SNOOZE Mode allows some peripherals, i.e., ADC and UART operation whilst in standby modes
- Achieve 1/10th of the power consumption; SNOOZE mode uses 0.5mA vs. 5mA in RUN mode (ADC)
The RL78 MCUs include HALT and STOP modes
- HALT mode disables CPU operation saving as much as 80% of total MCU current, whilst allowing fast CPU enable time
- STOP mode achieves lowest power consumption by disabling more CPU functions
Power Consumption Values
RL78 MCUs Offer an Unprecedented Lineup
- Over 1000 devices
- Available in 10- to 128-pin packages and 1KB to 512KB Flash
RL78 MCUs Offer Full Pin Compatibility
- I/O and peripheral pins scale up
- Easily add additional I/O and functionality by migrating to a larger pin count
- Keep peripheral pin PCB layout in the same order/position as pin count is increased
- Software code can be reused across the full RL78 family from 20 pins to 128 pins
Peripheral I/O Re-direction (PIOR) capability remaps functions to alternate ports
- Due to layout or peripheral pin sharing constraint, there may be conflicts for existing peripheral I/O pin assignments
- Optimize peripheral pin functionality by easing function bottlenecks on a pin
RL78/G14 Offers Up To 51.2DMIPS Performance at 32MHz
- Unrivaled power consumption/performance ratio (1.6DMIPS/MHz) *RL78/G14
- Higher DMIPS rating and lower power consumption than a popular 32-bit competitor technology
- RL78 offers widest operating voltage in its class from 1.6V to 5.5V
- 85% instructions executed in one clock cycle
System Cost Reduction
Microcomputer Built-in Functions
- Reset circuit
- Low power detection circuit
- Watchdog timer
- High-precision (1%) on-chip oscillator
- Data flash memory
- Temperature sensor
- Multi power supply interface port
High Quality and Safety
Hardware for IEC/UL 60730 Compliance
Hardware Development Tools
A low-cost on-chip debugging emulator and a full-spec emulator are available. You can select the environment that best matches your debugging needs.
E1 On-chip Debugging Emulator
The E1 emulator provides a wide range of support for Renesas microcontrollers at low cost.
Learn more about the E1 Emulator
IECUBE In-circuit Emulators
Comprehensive break functions, trace functions useful for analyzing illegal operations, time measurement functions for measuring maximum/minimum/average program execution times, coverage functions for measuring program execution coverage rate, and more, are equipped as standards.
Learn more about IECUBE for the RL78 Family
Software Development Tools
The CS+ integrated development environment (IDE) with a track record of "easy operation and easy support", a real-time OS compliant with the μITRON specification, and the PG-FP5 flash programmer are available. We provide strong support for application development.