As a highly affordable on-chip debugging emulator for Renesas's mainstream MCUs, E1 provides all the basic debugging functions while serving as a flash programmer at the same time.In addition, it incorporates the Hot Plugin function. Using a Hot-plug Adapter (optional) allows you to connect an E1 emulator to a running system to inspect it without interrupting program execution.
For the communication system, serial, JTAG or LPD connection can be selected depending on the MCU type.
* Available debugging software, programming software, and communication interface depend on the target device type. (For details, refer to "Release Information".)
Hot Plugin is not supported with some MCU types. (See "On-chip Debuggers Performance Property".)
|Purpose of use||Software to be used||Target devices||Latest Version||Released||Operating Environment|
|On-chip Debugging||CS+||List of Functions Supported by CS+||V4.01.00||Oct. 5, 2016||Operating Environment|
|Renesas e² studio||Click here
*See "Release note" of each version.
|V5.2.0.020||Oct. 5, 2016|
Workshop E1/E20 Emulator Debugger
|Click here||for RX: V.1.03.00||Oct. 16, 2012|
|for R8C: V.10.1.00||Nov. 1, 2011|
|Flash Programming||Renesas Flash Programmer V3 Note1||Target device list||V3.02.00||Oct. 5, 2016|
|Renesas Flash Programmer V2 Note1||Target device list||V2.05.03||Mar. 7, 2016|
|Flash Development Toolkit||Target device list||V.4.09 Release 03||Jan. 20, 2016|
Refer to Compatible Software for available tools manufactured by partners.
1: See the list for the Renesas Flash Programmer V3 when using devices of RL78, RX or RH850 family, and see the list for the Renesas Flash Programmer V2 when using devices of V850 family, 78K0R or 78K0.
- Affordable yet powerful debugging device that can meet the actual development needs.
- Enhanced functions for faster debugging
In addition to basic debugging functions, the E1 supports execution time measurement and hot plug-in functionality (dependent on the MCU) that allows connection to the user system while the program is running.
- Also functions as an on-board programmer.
Can be used as an on-board programming tool after the debugging, enabling smooth evaluation of the MCU.
- Optimally suited for evaluating analogue functions such as A/D and D/A properties.
Electrical characteristics are the same as those of the actual MCU, since the actual MCU is used for debugging.
- Serial, JTAG and LPD connections are supported.
For the communication system, serial, JTAG or LPD connection can be selected as required by the type of the target MCU.
- Simple connection
Connection requires only a connector mounted on the user system, thus significantly reducing the possibility of loose connection.
- Environmentally friendly material
The casing is made of plant-derived polylactide (PLA).
Note that some functions shown here may not be supported under the IDE you use. Performance property and Connection system also vary depending on the MCU type.
|V850 Family||RX Family||RL78
|Connection system||See On-chip Debuggers Performance Property. Note1|
|Memory reference and change while executing the program|
|User interface||14-way cable [7614-6002 (product of 3M Co., Ltd.) and 2514-6002 (product of 3M Limited)]|
|PC Interface||USB 2.0, full speed and high speed|
|Target board connection||Via attached user I/F cable (Connection signals vary by the target MCU type.)|
|Power supply||Up to 200mA (3.3V or 5V)|
|Power voltage||1.8V to 5.5V (depending on the target MCU)|
(Except the protruding parts)
|109.4 mm×53.2 mm×18.6 mm|
|Conformance with overseas standards||European Standards: EN 55022 Class A, EN 55024
US FCC Standard: FCC part 15 Class A
1: "On-chip Debuggers Performance Property" provides the detailed information varied with the target device, regarding the following on-chip debuggers.
|Break Function||Trace Function||Others|
|・Internal Trace||・Memory reference and change while executing program
- E1 Emulator main unit
- USB cable
- User's system I/F cable
- Software CD-ROM
- Installation guide
- Self-Checking Program
- USB driver
- E1/E20 Emulator User's Manual
Optional Products for E1 and E20 emulators
Following devices are optionally provided to facilitate the use of the E1 and E20 emulators.
Please make sure to choose the devices that match the type of your emulators and MCUs.
- Conversion Adapter : Converts the number and height of the pins in the connector for the connection with the emulator.
- Hot-plug Adapter : Allows you to connect the emulator without having to turn off the system (Hot Plugin).
- Isolator : Enables debugging in an environment where there is a difference in potential between the user system GND and the host PC GND.
- Low voltage OCD Board : Enables you to debug the target MCU, even if the adapter voltage is not high enough to reprogram internal Flash ROM. This product is used between the emulator and a user's system, and is united by the in-circuit connection with the user's system.
- Debug MCU Board : Enables the incircuit connection of the emulator with the user's system. This board allows you to use enhanced debugging functions. The applicable debugging function varies depending on the MCU type.
Software to be Used (by Tartget Device Family)
|Tartget Device Family
|Debugging Software||Programming Software|
|IAR Embedded Workbench Note2||Green Hills Multi Note2||Other||
Renesas Flash Programmer
|R8C||-||-||Avairable||-||R8C E1/E20 Emulator debugger Note4||-||Flash Development Toolkit|
1: For more information about supported devices, refer to the "Target devices" in Release Information.
2: As for tools produced by partners, contact them directly.
3: The e² studio supports the debugging of objects that have been built by MULTI compilers for the integrated development environment made by Green Hills Software, Inc. Connecting an E1/E20 emulator enables use of the e² studio for debugging.
4: For Renesas IDE, High-performance Embedded Workshop.
Below you will find information to support the development of your application.
Information supporting development tools
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services,
receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information,
questions and opinions with others who use Renesas MCU's.
|Tool News||Tool release information and other important information.|
|Operating Environment||Information on system requirements and operating environment for the latest
version of tools.
|Tool Environmental Information||Information on RoHS compliance of tools.|
|Info on Discontinued Products||A list of Renesas software and tools that have been discontinued and
are no longer being offered for new projects.