The ISL9237 is a buck-boost Narrow Output Voltage DC (NVDC) charger utilizing Renesas' advanced R3™ Technology to provide high light-load efficiency, fast transient response and seamless DCM/CCM transitions for a variety of mobile and industrial applications. The pin-to-pin compatible ISL9238 and ISL9238A NVDC buck-boost chargers expand on the ISL9237, including features like 1- to 4-cell battery charging and 5V to 20V On-the-Go (OTG).
In Charge mode, the ISL9237 takes input power from a wide range (4V to 20V) of DC power sources (conventional AC/DC charger adapters, USB PD ports, travel adapters, etc.) and safely charges battery packs with up to 3 cells in a series configuration.
ISL9237 supports the OTG function for 2- and 3-cell battery application. When the OTG function is enabled, ISL9237 operates in the reverse buck mode to provide 5V at the USB port.
The ISL9237 has serial communication via SMBus/I2C that allows programming of many critical parameters to deliver a customized solution. These programming parameters include, but are not limited to: adapter current limit, charger current limit, system voltage setting and trickle charging current limit. ISL9237EVAL2Z evaluation board is designed to demonstrate the performance of ISL9237. The default value numbers of the battery in series, the switching frequency and the adaptor current limit charging function can be programmed by the resistor from the PROG pin to GND. Those values also can be set by SMBus.
- Buck-boost NVDC charger for 1-, 2-, 3-cell Li-ion batteries
- End of Charge (EOC) option
- System power monitor PSYS output, IMVP-8 compliant
- PROCHOT# open-drain output, IMVP-8 compliant
- Allows trickle charging of depleted battery
- Optional ASGATE FET control
- Ideal diode control in turbo mode
- Reverse buck, boost and buck-boost operation from battery
- Two-level adapter current limit available
- Battery ship mode option
- SMBus and auto-increment I2C compatible
- Mobile devices with rechargeable batteries
- Industrial devices with rechargeable batteries