RH850/D1x Series Integrates Gauge Control, Graphics Display and Functional Safety in a Single Chip
20 Feb 2015
TOKYO, Japan, February 20, 2015 — Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today announced the RH850/D1x Series of 32-bit automotive microcontrollers (MCUs) specialized for instrument clusters that deliver easy-to-access information to support a safer and rich driving experience. The connected car is generating amount of information from the automotive networks, cameras and multimedia systems. This trend drives a strong needs to transmit these large amounts of information to the driver in an easy-to-understand and easy-to-read manner, with a graphical expression. As graphics become widely used in instrument clusters, color LCDs are going to be widely adopted to increase both the expressive power and legibility, improving the communications with driver to provide appropriate information at the appropriate time with appropriate displays through a combination of gauges, graphics, and head-up display.
As the leading global MCU supplier for instrument clusters, Renesas is leveraging its automotive experience to support the whole range of instrument cluster systems, from the combination of gauge control and LCD display for the entry and mid-range cars, to the full graphics required for high-end luxury cars. Designed for entry class and mid-range vehicle systems, the RH850/D1x Series integrates gauge control, graphics display and functional safety in one chip, while reducing the system BOM cost and scalable development offers, and helps realize instrument cluster systems with highly reliable color graphics LCD.
Key Features of the RH850/D1x MCUs:
(1) Reduced system BOM costThe RH850/D1x MCUs incorporate a large-capacity RAM (up to 3.5MB) and Renesas’ newly developed high-functionality graphics engine supported by a highly efficient “Renesas Graphics Library”. These contributes to reducing the amount of RAM usage and realize high-definition LCD display without external high-speed DRAMs. In addition, by eliminating these external high-speed DRAMs, systems can be designed on low-cost four-layer printed circuit boards.
(2) Scalable development offeringsBy combining the common basic functionality, including gauge control and in-car network functions, Renesas features 22 products in seven groups that offer varieties of graphics and cost options. This rich lineup provides enhanced software reusability and scalable solution to enable common platforms for instrument cluster systems. These scalable development offerings shorten software development periods and reduce both development and maintenance costs.
(3) Intelligent developmentBy incorporating a high-functionality graphics engine, the RH850/D1x enables creation of high-precision animations on a large display to address the requirement of mid-range cars, and also realizes both the expressive power and visibility for head-up displays. With RH850/D1x graphics engine supporting OpenVG 1.1 standard and HMI development tools supporting API standard, the development period can be shortened even further.
(4) Support for head-up displaysThe RH850/D1x MCUs include a function that automatically corrects video output in accordance with car design such as windshields. The output video data can be warped to fit for an arbitrary shape without frame delay. This enables head-up displays to be added to the instrument clusters.
(5) Functional safetyTo secure functional safety for the instrument cluster systems, the RH850/D1x MCUs include functions for detecting system malfunctions and monitoring functions that monitor and verify, at all times, that important information, such as warnings and the gear position, is being informed correctly, to secure safety.
Samples of the RH850/D1x MCUs are available now. Mass production is scheduled to begin in April 2016 and is expected to reach a scale of 4,000,000 units per month by April 2018. (Availability is subject to change without notice.)
Please refer to the separate sheet (PDF: 48 KB) for the main specifications of the new RH850/D1x series of MCUs.
For more information on the RH850/D1M MCU, please visit: https://www.renesas.com/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rh850/rh850d1x/rh850d1m.html
For more information on the RH850/D1L MCU, please visit: https://www.renesas.com/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rh850/rh850d1x/rh850d1l.html
All other registered trademarks or trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About Renesas Electronics Corporation
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) delivers trusted embedded design innovation with complete semiconductor solutions that enable billions of connected, intelligent devices to enhance the way people work and live. A global leader in microcontrollers, analog, power, and SoC products, Renesas provides comprehensive solutions for a broad range of automotive, industrial, infrastructure, and IoT applications that help shape a limitless future. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
The content in the press release, including, but not limited to, product prices and specifications, is based on the information as of the date indicated on the document, but may be subject to change without prior notice.