The slave actuator unit(s) control a fan or HVAC in one room or section of a home or building by following instructions from the master actuator. This can be one or all of the following fan controls:
- RPM of a brushless DC (BLDC) fan motor
- Direction of flow, i.e., in/out (and optionally swipe up/down, left/right)
- Flow sensor (Liter/min)
- Electrical heater 0% - 100%
If the actuator controls an HVAC rather than a simple fan, it may have additional sensors and outputs of its own to better control the HVAC, such as:
- RPM of BLDC compressor motor
- Compressor pressure sensor (bar)
An additional GUI using capacitive touch or simple push button(s) and/or an LCD can be used to display local values and enter data. A more sophisticated GUI may also be achieved via a master actuator, IP gateway or smartphone. A real-time clock (RTC) could easily be added to switch between different operation modes, depending on the day, time, holiday, etc. All RTCs could also be synchronized within the system.
- Bluetooth® 5 Mesh communication enables communication with other sensors and the actuators. Advantages of Bluetooth 5 include:
- Secure bidirectional packet data flow
- Low power (can go down to µA average while being connected)
- Additional wiring is not required
- Automatic routing (with no setup for the routing itself)
- Scalable speed vs. range (i.e., for four times range or a double speed option, depending on the location)
- For the power supply, usually mains will be needed (e.g., 230Vac or 110Vac, or 24Vdc) from the building control system. Renesas has a comprehensive set of solutions available, depending on the exact use case.
|RX23W||32-bit MCUs with Bluetooth® 5 for IoT endpoint devices, system control and wireless communication achieved on a single chip||Datasheet||Select Specific Device|
|RX65N||120MHz 32-bit microcontrollers with enhanced security, connectivity and HMI||Datasheet||Select Specific Device|
|RX66T||2-bit microcontrollers optimal for motor control in industrial, home appliance and robotics applications||Datasheet||Select Specific Device|
|ISL85415||Wide VIN 500mA synchronous buck regulator||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
|ZSSC3224||High-end 24-bit sensor signal conditioner IC||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
|FS2012||Gas or liquid flow sensor module with calibration||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
|IPS2200||Inductive position sensor for high-speed motor commutation||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
Renesas’ complementary product portfolios of Analog + Power + Embedded Processing work together to deliver comprehensive solutions to our customers. Our product experts have developed "Winning Combinations," compelling product combinations that help our customers accelerate their designs and get to market faster.