- Powered by Renesas Synergy™ Platform – Synergy S7 inside
- High Speed CPAP Motor Control in fast acceleration and deceleration
- Easy Communication setup/data transfer via GPRS/3G
- Secure Cloud Access to HTTPS(TLS) access (HIPAA compliance)
- Secure Data Storage via SDHI
- LCDC embedded with 2D engine and JPEG codec
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is a non-invasive therapy treatment for Sleep Apnea condition. It delivers constant airflow to people while they sleep. CPAP is often referred to as “the gold standard” treatment option and is the most commonly prescribed.
What is Sleep Apnea? Sleep Apnea is a Sleep Disorder condition where you stop breathing characterized my pauses in breathing during sleep. Each episode can pause and last for a few seconds to a few minutes and such episodes can occur repeatedly throughout sleep. People with sleep apnea will experience sleepiness or feel tired during the day, impaired alertness, and vision problems.
There are 3 types of Sleep Apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA)
- Mixed (combination of both OSA and CSA)
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is the most common type of Sleep Apnea. Air stops flowing into the lung because of a blockage or obstruction in the upper airway (i.e. the nose or throat). This resulting in snoring, restless sleep, and sleepiness during the day. The elderly and men are likely to have OSA compare to young people, woman and children. CPAP is the most common used therapy treatment for OSA.
Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) is less common type of Sleep Apnea. This is basically caused by no communication between the brain and the body, resulting in no effort in breathing and air stop flowing to the lung. People with CSA usually do not snore and therefore it is very difficult to diagnose the condition.
Mixed Type Sleep Apnea condition is the most complicated type. It is a combination of both OSA and CSA where there is blockage in the upper airway and the brain cannot process well to continue breathing. The condition is generally detected when obstructive sleep apnea is treated with CPAP and central sleep apnea emerges. The exact mechanism of the loss of central respiratory drive during sleep in OSA is unknown but is most likely related to incorrect settings of the CPAP treatment and other medical conditions the person has.
Renesas CPAP Demo Kit is a proof of concept demo that was developed to enable customers to reduce the time to market. It demonstrated the ease of implementation using Renesas Synergy S7 device with Synergy Software Package (SSP).
The kit contains four fully functional modules: High Speed CPAP Motor control, Secure Data Storage, Graphic Control Display and Secure Connectivity to cloud.
Renesas CPAP Demonstration Kit Functional Modules
- Sensorless Vector Control for BLDC motor
- <16% CPU resources usage while running at 33kRPM
- High speed acceleration and deceleration
From 5KRPM to 33KRPM in 0.15µs
- Cloud Connectivity via GPRS/3G
- AES encryption
- Secure Cloud access
- Demonstrate HTTPS (TLS) access (HIPAA compliance)
- Highly Secure Key Storage
- SD Card Secure Storage
- File system (FAT)
- AES encryption
- Ext SDHI Controller required
- Eliminating Ext Graphic LCD Controller
- 2D Graphic Engine build-in
- GUIX make graphic design easy development
- High capacity build-in SRAM (640KB) eliminate Ext RAM;
2 buffers possible with QVGA resolution
System Block Diagram
The CPAP Motor control functional module demonstrate the controlling of the airway pressure. The motor can accelerate and decelerate to high speed from 5,000rpm to 33,000rpm in just 0.15us, utilizing only 16% CPU resources.
The Renesas Synergy S7 has a build-in LCD Controller that allow easy implementation of HMI using GUIX S/W. The MCU also come with a 2D graphic Engine and JPEC decoder with high capacity SRAM (640KB) that allow changing of graphic design and resolution easily without external memory.
The Cloud connectivity functional module demonstrate cloud access via GPRS/3G module. HTTPS access is also being demonstrated using advance security encryption engine and TLS. Data is being securely encrypted and store in the SD storage. These are made possible within days of implementation using Renesas Synergy™ platform.