The ISL78714BMS5XBEKIT1Z is a reference design kit that facilitates testing of the ISL78714 Li-ion battery pack analog front-end ICs and the Renesas RH850 microcontroller (MCU) in an automotive battery management system (BMS) solution. The RH850 communicates with the ISL78714 devices to monitor cell voltage, pack temperature and current, record significant fault detection, and control cell balance. The ISL78714 contains daisy chain hardware to provide robust, isolated communication between batteries. The RH850 can interface to multiple CAN, LIN, UART, and RS-485 buses and control multiple PWM outputs.
The reference design kit operates as an example of a complete automotive battery management system for up to 70 series connected Li-ion cells.
- Monitors up to 70 series connected cells (5 ISL78714 devices)
- Measurement of negative cell voltages supports bus bar connections
- Up to 6 external temperature inputs (two available from GPIOs) per ISL78714
- The board includes hardware and software for monitoring the cell voltages and pack current in a pseudosimultaneous operation, providing all cell voltages and pack current within a 10ms acquisition window
- Capacitively coupled on-board daisy chaining between each ISL78714 device
- Host RH850 MCU communicates with the BMS analog front end through an isolated SPI port
- 3 CAN buses
- 2 LIN buses
- 1 RS-485
- 1 RS-232 UART
- 6 PWM outputs
- 1 RS-232 UART (GUI) interface
- Real-time clock
- GUI monitors operation through an RS-232 port. CAN bus monitoring is also available
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV), Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) and Electric Vehicle (EV) battery packs
- Electric motorcycle battery packs
- Backup battery and energy storage systems requiring high accuracy management and monitoring
- Portable and semi-portable equipment
Disclaimer: THIS MATERIAL IS PROVIDED “AS-IS” FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY. RENESAS ELECTRONICS CORPORATION AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES (collectively, “Renesas”) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND MERCHANTABILITY. Renesas provides evaluation platforms and design proposals to help our customers to develop products. However, factors beyond Renesas' control, including without limitation, component variations, temperature changes and PCB layout, could significantly affect the product performance. It is the user’s responsibility to verify the actual circuit performance.