The ISL9120 and ISL9120IR are highly integrated buck-boost switching regulators that accept input voltages either above or below the regulated output voltage. The regulator automatically transitions between buck and boost modes without significant output disturbance. They also have automatic bypass functionality. When the input voltage is generally within 1% to 2% of the output voltage, there will be a direct bypass connection between the VIN and VOUT pins.
In addition to the automatic bypass functionality, the ISL9120 and ISL9120IR also have forced bypass functionality with the use of the BYP pin. The device is capable of delivering up to 800mA of output current (VIN = 2.5V, VOUT = 3.3V) and provides excellent efficiency due to its adaptive current limit Pulse Frequency Modulation (PFM) control architecture.
The ISL9120 and ISL9120IR are designed for stand-alone applications and support a 3.3V fixed output voltage or variable output voltages with an external resistor divider. The forced bypass power saving mode can be chosen if voltage regulation is not required. The device consumes less than 3.5µA of current over the operating temperature range in forced bypass mode.
The ISL9120 and ISL9120IR require only a single inductor and very few external components. Power supply solution size is minimized by the ISL9120 1.41mm x 1.41mm WLCSP package and the ISL9120IR 3mm x 3mm 12 Ld TQFN package.
- Accepts input voltages above or below regulated output voltage
- Automatic bypass mode functionality
- Automatic and seamless transitions between buck and boost modes
- Input voltage range: 1.8V to 5.5V
- Selectable forced bypass power-saving mode
- Adaptive multilevel current limit scheme to optimize efficiency at low and high currents
- Output current: up to 800mA (VIN = 2.5V, VOUT = 3.3V)
- High efficiency: up to 98%
- 41μA quiescent current maximizes light-load efficiency
- Fully protected for over-temperature and undervoltage
- Small packages
- ISL9120 - 1.41mm x 1.41mm WLCSP
- ISL9120IR - 3mm x 3mm 12 Ld TQFN
- Smartphones and tablets
- Portable consumer and wearable devices