This product is a real-time operating system (Real-time OS) conforming to the μITRON4.0 Specification, the predominant Real-time OS for embedded systems in Japan. Its compact resources, outstanding real-time features, and many service calls are suited for an embedded system with real-time ability and multi-tasking functions. In addition, its affinity for the IDE CS+ will help you greatly reduce development time and get to market faster.
- TRON Forum holds the copyright on the μITRON Specification.
- TRON, ITRON, and μITRON do not refer to any specific product or products.
RI850V4 V2 is not a multicore OS. However, while it does not support multicore OS functionality, it can be run at the same time on each of the cores of a multicore MCU.
Latest Ver.: V2.01.01
Released: Jun 1, 2016
Details of upgrade (See Tool News)
CS+ interface plug-ins (Real-time OS Common plug-in)
Latest Ver.: V3.03.00
Released: Jul 1, 2016
CS+ interface plug-ins (Plug-in for RI850V4 V2)
Latest Ver.: V2.02.00
Released: Jul 1, 2016
- Supported compiler :CC-RH, GHS1
- Supported IDE :CS+, MULTI2
1. GHS is a compiler package from Green Hills Software.
2. MULTI is an IDE from Green Hills Software.
- Conforms to µITRON4.0 Specification:
The design conforms to the µITRON4.0 Specification, the representative OS architecture for embedded control, providing all functions specified as standard profile, and it provides extended synchronization and communications functions such as mutexes and memory pool management (variable-sized memory pools) as extended functions.
- Excellent portability:
To support various execution environments, the RI850V4 extracts hardware-dependent processing that is required to execute processing as user-own coding modules and target-dependent modules, and provides it as sample source files. This enhances portability for various execution environments and facilitates customization as well.
- ROM-based implementation:
Since the system is a real-time/multi-tasking OS assumed to be used embedded in the execution environment, it was designed to be compact and ready for ROM-based implementations. Also, because the system can be configured linking only the service calls used in the application system by the user (rather than all the service calls provided by the RI850V4), a real-time/multi-tasking OS can be configured which is compact and optimized for the user's needs.
- Realization of memory savings:
By using the preempt disable function that provided by the RI850V4, the system's memory consumption can be reduced.
- Interface with CS+, the Renesas Electronics Integrated Development Environment
The RI850V4 OS interfaces with CS+ to support the following functions:
- Auto-settings for options required in OS build
- Displays state of OS control object for tasks, semaphore, etc. (Resource Information)
- Graphical displays of task operation history and service call issuance history (Task Analyzer)
Notice: For the RH850G3MH core products, only software trace mode is available.
- Support for the MULTI integrated development environment from Green Hills Software, LLC.
The MULTI IDE is supported with RI850V4 V2.01.01.
Note: When using the MULTI integrated development environment, take the steps below to add the listed compiler options to the project file (sample.gpj) of the sample project (RH850_F1L_RI850V4RH and RH850_F1H_RI850V4RH).
(1) Open sample.gpj as a text file.
(2) Add the following two lines as the next lines after -Onolink.
The RI850V4 kernel consists of the following modules. Each module is provided by functions (service calls) .
- Task management functions
Provided by the RI850V4 include a function to reference task statuses such as priorities and detailed task information, in addition to a function to manipulate task statuses such as creation, activation and termination of tasks.
- Task dependent synchronization functions
Changes task status from other task, and synchronizes tasks.
- Task exception handling function
Task exception handling function is unsupported.
- Synchronization and communication functions
The synchronization and communication functions of the RI850V4 consist of Semaphores, Eventflags, Data Queues, and Mailboxes that are provided as means for realizing exclusive control, queuing, and communication among tasks.
- Semaphores: In the RI850V4, non-negative number counting semaphores are provided as a means (exclusive control function) for preventing contention for limited resources (hardware devices, library function, etc.) arising from the required conditions of simultaneously running tasks.
- Eventflags: Provides 32-bit eventflags as a queuing function for tasks.
- Data Queues: Provides the data queues that have the data queue area in which data read/write is enabled for transferring the prescribed size of data.
- Mailboxes: Provides a mailbox, as a communication function between tasks, that hands over the execution result of a given processing program to another processing program.
- Extended synchronization and Communication functions
Provides Mutexes as the extended synchronization and communication function for implementing exclusive control between tasks.
- Fixed-Sized Memory Pools
When a dynamic memory manipulation request is issued from a processing program in the RI850V4, the fixed-sized memory pool is provided as a usable memory area.
- Variable-Sized Memory Pools
When a dynamic memory manipulation request is issued from a processing program in the RI850V4, the variable-sized memory pool is provided as a usable memory area.
- Time management functions
Provides methods to implement time-related processing (Timer Operations: Delayed task wakeup, Timeout, Cyclic handlers) by using base clock timer interrupts that occur at constant intervals, as well as a function to manipulate and reference the system time.
- System state management functions
Provides functions for referencing the system status such as the context type and CPU lock status, as well as functions for manipulating the system status such as ready queue rotation, scheduler activation, or the like.
- Interrupt management functions
The RI850V4 provides as interrupt management functions related to the interrupt handlers activated when an interrupt (maskable interrupt, software interrupt, reset interrupt) is occurred.
- Service call management functions
Provides the function for manipulating the extended service call routine status, such as registering and calling of extended service call routines.
The scheduling functions provided by the RI850V4 consist of functions manage/decide the order in which tasks are executed by monitoring the transition states of dynamically changing tasks, so that the CPU use right is given to the optimum task.
|Maximum number of tasks||255|
|Number of priority levels||32|
|Number of Service calls||118|
(Time takes for a target task to be executed after the wup_tsk is issued.)
(RH850E/F1L, in 80MHz equivalent, embedded memory)
|Kernel code size||20K bytes1|
|Kernel RAM usage per task||data : 32 bytes
stack : 132 bytes
1. The value is the maximum value in the case of using all service calls that provided by the RI850V4. It vary depending on the type of service call to be used.
|Kernel source program||Source files for the kernel||Provided only with mass- production licenses which include source code.|
|Kernel library||Kernel library for system building||-|
|Standard header files||ITRON specification common definition files
Kernel specification definition files
Other definition files
|Header files are provided in C language.|
|Command line configurator||Outputs all types of definition files from the cfg file that describes the structure parameters in text.||-|
|Sample program||A simple program using ITRON.||-|
|CS+ interface plug-ins
- Real-time OS Common plug-in
- Plug-in for RI850V4 V2
|Function for easy kernel embedding
Function for referencing the OS state during debug
A tool that displays a transition diagram of the OS operation history and analyzes performance, such as CPU usage rate.
We provide a trial software of the RI850V4 so that you can try out the functions and performance of RI850V4 before purchasing it. No support, including responses to inquiries through contact points, is provided for the trial software. Please accept this before using the trial software. In addition, please read through the Software User License Agreement and following notes before downloading.
1.Difference with the Product Version
Although the performance and functionality are the same as the product version, RI850V4 real-time OS of the trial software has the restrictions described below.
- The RI850V4 V2 real-time OS stops operating after running for 60 minutes (the program enters an infinite loop).
- The following service calls cannot be used.
2.Using the OS for Finished Products
If you intend to embed the RI850V4 real-time OS in a finished product, use the product version. We do not offer any technical support services in case of troubles by using trial software.
3.Prohibition of Redistribution
Redistribution of the software tool to third parties is strictly prohibited.
The operating environment is same as the product version. Refer to Operating Environments of Products.
Contact us if you are considering purchasing this product for use with a device of the RH850/P1x-C or RH850/P1M-E group.
Development Tools Support
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services,
receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information,
questions and opinions with others who use Renesas MCU's.
|Tool News||Tool release information and other important information.|
|Operating Environment||Information on system requirements and operating environment for the latest
version of tools.
|Info on Discontinued Products||A list of Renesas software and tools that have been discontinued and
are no longer being offered for new projects.