The ISL8273MEVAL1Z evaluation board is a 4.7in x 4.8in 8-layer FR4 board with 2oz. copper on all layers that is used to evaluate the ISL8273M digital PMBus™ step-down power module. This evaluation board comes with placeholders for pin-strap resistor population to adjust output voltage, switching frequency, soft-start/stop timing and input UVLO threshold, ASCR gain and residual parameters, and device PMBus address. More configurations, such as sequencing, Digital-DC™ (DDC) bus configuration and fault limits can be easily programmed or changed via the PMBus compliant serial bus interface.
The ISL8273M is a 80A step-down DC/DC power supply module with an integrated digital PWM controller, dual-phase synchronous power switches, inductors, and passives. Only input/output capacitors and minimal passives are needed to finish the design. The 80A of continuous output current can be delivered without a need for airflow or heatsink. The ISL8273M uses ChargeMode™ control (ASCR) architecture, which responds to a transient load within a single switching cycle.
The optional ISLUSBEVAL1Z (USB to PMBus adapter) is provided with this evaluation board, which connects the evaluation board to a PC to activate the PMBus communication interface. The PMBus command set is accessed by using the PowerNavigator™ evaluation software from a PC running Microsoft Windows. The ISL8273MEVAL1Z can operate in pin-strap mode without needing the ISLUSBEVAL1Z adapter or PMBus communication.
- VIN range of 4.5V to 14V, VOUT adjustable from 0.6V to 2.5V
- Programmable VOUT, margining, input and output UVP/OVP, IOUT limit, OTP/UTP, soft-start/stop, sequencing and external synchronization
- Monitor: VIN, VOUT, IOUT, temperature, duty cycle, switching frequency, and faults
- ChargeMode™ control tunable with PMBus
- Mechanical switch for enable and power-good LED indicator
- Server, telecom, storage, and datacom
- Industrial/ATE and networking equipment
- General purpose power for ASIC, FPGA, DSP, and memory