Renesas Flash Programmer V3
The Renesas Flash Programmer provides usable and functional support for programming the on-chip flash memory of Renesas microcontrollers in each phase of development and mass production.
Commercial Edition and Free-of-charge Edition
We have two editions of this product. The commercial edition includes technical support and the free-of-charge edition does not. There is no difference in the functionality between those editions, however, if you are going to be using the programmer for writing to the flash memory of a finished product, we recommend that you purchase the commercial edition.
- A simple GUI makes operations easy, even for first-time developers
- PC-controlled programming via the E1 emulator, E20 emulator, E2 emulator, E2 emulator Lite, a serial or USB connection
- Interoperation with other software
- The efficiency of work can be improved by, for example, writing data to many boards consecutively and retaining logs of the written data in files.
- Batch processing
- The sequence of operations equivalent to those from starting the GUI to specifying a project and pressing the start button can be repeated easily from the Windows command line without actually starting the GUI (Command-line options). This is very useful for programming large quantities in mass production.
- Programming a unique code to a designated area of flash memory
- Enhanced security against theft through the encryption of program files (Learn More >>)
- Easier creation of projects (compared with V2) (Learn More >>)
- Easy selection of type names. No need to select detailed type names for products of the RL78 family.
- Easy setting of mode pins for RX family products.
- Improvements in processing speed (compared with V2)
- The programming time has been shortened by approximately 10 percent.
- In the case of the RL78 family, programming times have been shortened by up to 50 percent.
Note: These data were gathered under specific conditions, and we do not guarantee a specific increase in speed.
- Supported file formats for programming: Intel HEX for HEX and HCUHEX files, Motorola S for HEX and HCUHEX files, and RPI for RPI file
- Check sum of program files
- Blank check, erase, writing, verification, read-out, security setting, checksum, autoprocedure, setup and acquisition of flash options
- Sequential execution of multiple commands (for erasure, programming, verification, etc.)
- Multiple files for programming selectable simultaneously
Enhanced security against theft through the encryption of program files
The new function for encrypting program files enhances security against theft.
You can run this function by using the encryption utility program (RPE.exe) from the command line. The file is among those installed by the Renesas Flash Programmer installer.
Easier Creation of Projects
- Easy selection of type names
- No need to select detailed type names for products of the RL78 family.
- Easy setting of mode pins for RX family products
- No need for mode pin setting, when the recommended connection examples are used.
The system configuration in programming with Renesas Flash Programmer V3 is as follows.
Samples of Programming Circuits
|Sample Circuit for Programming by Using a PC's Serial Port||Oct 29, 2012|
As for those samples when using with the E1, E20, E2, or E2 emulator Lite, see user's manuals for the individual products. For examples of circuits for programming with use of the USB, refer to the hardware manual for the MCU you are using.
- RL78 Family
- RX Family
- RH850 Family
- Renesas Synergy™ Microcontrollers
- Power Management (Battery Management)
- Renesas USB Power Delivery Family (C30 Group)
- ICs for Motor Driver/Actuator Driver (ICs for Motor Control)
- Note that the V3 does not support the V850 family, 78K0, and 78K0R. Use Renesas Flash Programmer V2 if you are using products of these families.
Target Devices by Connection Methods
For the details, refer to List of MCUs supported by Renesas Flash Programmer V3.
|Supported devices||Through on-chip debugging emulators Note1||Serial|
|E2 emulator||E2 emulator Lite|
RX with USB boot
Renesas Synergy with USB boot
|Renesas USB Power Delivery|
|ICs for Motor Driver/Actuator Driver|
Available | — Not Available
- When using with the on-chip debugging emulators, conversion adapter is required depending on the number of pins on the target board.
Information Supporting Development Tools
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services, receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.|
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information, questions and opinions with others who use Renesas MCU's.|
|Tool News||Tool release information and other important information.|
|Operating Environment||Information on system requirements and operating environment for the latest version of tools.|
|Tool Environmental Information||Information on RoHS compliance of tools.|
|Info on Discontinued Products||A list of Renesas software and tools that have been discontinued and are no longer being offered for new projects.|
|Renesas Flash Programmer V2|
|Migration from V2 to V3 of the Renesas Flash Programmer|