The Renesas OBD2-CDI solution provides modern on-board diagnostics and reporting (OBD2) and a capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) solution for small petrol/gasoline engines.
Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI)
A capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) is widely used in small petrol/gasoline engines to generate precise spark timings. This method of ignition employs the capacitor for storing the energy and discharges it into the EHT coil, which generates high voltages across the spark plug and generates the spark for combustion. Precise spark timings ensure the proper combustion of air-fuel mixture to maximize the fuel efficiency and power of a particular engine, and to meet emissions norms and regulations. CDI is widely used in automobile engines, small AC/DC generators, lawn mowers, etc.
On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
On-board diagnostics (OBD) is an automotive term referring to a vehicle's self-diagnostic and reporting capability. OBD systems give the vehicle owner or repair technician access to the status of various vehicle subsystems. Modern OBD (OBD2) implementations use a standardized digital communications port to provide real-time data in addition to a standardized series of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), which allow rapid identification and remedy of malfunctions within the vehicle. OBD2 also provides almost complete engine control.
- Ignition control via dual spark CDI
- On-Board Diagnostics-II (OBD2) using CAN ISO standard protocols
- Accelerometer for tilt sensing
- Short circuit protection, reverse polarity protection and overvoltage protection
- Additional features: RPM sensing, speed sensing, ignition sensing, temperature sensing, throttle sensing, choke control, MIL control, and CAN communication interface
- Optional feature: CAN messages via OBD2 connector can be transmitted via Bluetooth to a smartphone application