As the use of color LCD panels in instrument cluster systems becomes more widespread, gauge control and graphics display are being combined even in smaller and medium-size cars. The trend towards "gauge-less" displays is already progressing in high-end cars, where visibility and comfort are desired, and attractive, easy to see displays using 3D graphics on large, high-resolution panels are seen as one aspect of a car's individuality. In the future, display size and resolution are expected to continue increasing, even in the graphics displays used in low- to mid-end cars, along with the use of cluster systems that provide 3D graphics similar to that used in high-end cars.
For these systems to become more mainstream the ability to realize rich reality image display that makes full use of 3D graphics, to display the cluster screen rapidly at the same time as the start-up of accessories, to realize high reliability that can prevent unauthorized access from the outside to the system in order to continuously convey accurate information of the instruments to the driver, and to enhance the performance of the many electronic equipment units and communications systems used in the car will all be required.
The Renesas R-Car D1 automotive system-on-chip (SoC) devices specialized for 3D instrument cluster systems were developed to overcome these issues. The R-Car D1 provides both the functionality and the performance, and since Renesas users can take advantage of the R-Car Consortium ecosystem that consists of over 170 companies, they will be able to develop 3D graphics cluster systems quickly.
- 3D graphics cluster systems can be developed easily by cooperating with Renesas partners
- Enables rapid startup for instrument cluster systems, provides solutions that support rapid display of meter and gauge screens, and audio output
- Driver safety protection and car hacking prevention by the provision of functional safety and security solutions
- Supports Ethernet AVB for connection with navigation systems, USB to connect with smartphones, and CAN-FD to connect with automotive infotainment systems. Supports superlative system flexibility and ease of design
- Development assets from the 2D graphics cluster RH850/D1x can be applied
- If gauge control is required, system manufacturers can combine the R-Car D1 with the RH850/D1M to implement such systems
- Instrument cluster systems