The ISL8012 integrates a pair of low ON-resistance P-Channel and N-Channel internal MOSFETs to maximize efficiency and minimize external component count. The 100% duty-cycle operation allows less than 240mV dropout voltage at 2A output current. High 1MHz pulse width modulation (PWM) switching frequency allows the use of small external components.
The ISL8012 can be configured for discontinuous or forced continuous operation at light load. Forced continuous operation reduces noise and RF interference while discontinuous mode provides high efficiency by reducing switching losses at light loads.
Fault protection is provided by internal current limiting during short circuit and overcurrent conditions, an output overvoltage comparator and over-temperature monitor circuit. A power-good output voltage monitor indicates when the output is in regulation.
The ISL8012 offers a 1ms Power-good (PG) timer at power-up. When shutdown, ISL8012 discharges the output capacitor. Other features include internal soft-start, internal compensation, overcurrent protection, and thermal shutdown.
The ISL8012 is offered in a space saving 3mmx3mm 10 Ld DFN package lead free package with exposed pad lead frames for low thermal. The complete converter occupies less than 0.35in2 area.
- High Efficiency Synchronous Buck Regulator with up to 95% Efficiency
- Power-Good (PG) Output with a 1ms Delay
- 2.7V to 5.5V Supply Voltage
- 3% Output Accuracy Over-Temperature/Load/Line
- 2A Guaranteed Output Current
- Start-up with Pre-Biased Output
- Internal Soft-Start - 1ms
- Soft-Stop Output Discharge During Disabled
- 40µA Quiescent Supply Current in PFM Mode
- Selectable Forced PWM Mode and PFM Mode
- Less than 1µA Logic Controlled Shutdown Current
- 100% Maximum Duty Cycle
- Internal Current Mode Compensation
- Peak Current Limiting and Hiccup Mode Short Circuit Protection
- Over-Temperature Protection
- Small 10 Ld 3mmx3mm: DFN
- Pb-Free (RoHS Compliant)
Design Resources and Tools