The ISL8210M power module is a single channel, synchronous step-down, non-isolated complete power supply featuring the proprietary Renesas R4™ Technology. The module supports a wide 4.5V to 16.5V input voltage range and a wide 0.5V to 5V output range capable of delivering up to 10A of continuous current and is optimized for high power density. Integrated LDOs provide module bias voltage, allowing for single supply operation.
The proprietary Renesas R4 control scheme has extremely fast transient performance, accurately regulated frequency control, and all internal compensation. An efficiency enhancing PFM mode greatly improves light-load efficiency. The ISL8210M allows for easy R4 loop optimization, resulting in fast transient performance across a wide range of applications, including all ceramic output filters.
The power module integrates all power and most passive components and requires only a few external components to operate. A set of optional external resistors provides very flexible configuration options (such as frequency, VOUT, and AV gain). The ISL8210M also features remote voltage sensing and completely eliminates any potential difference between remote and local grounds, improving regulation and protection accuracy. A programmable soft-start reduces the inrush current from the input supply. A precision enable input and power-good (PGOOD) flag are available to coordinate the start-up of the ISL8210M with other voltage rails, which is especially useful for power sequencing. Excellent efficiency and low thermal resistance permit full power operation without heatsinks.
Input Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO), over-temperature, overcurrent, output overvoltage, and output prebias start-up protections ensure safe operations under abnormal operating conditions.
The ISL8210M is available in a compact RoHS compliant thermally-enhanced 12mmx11mmx5.3mm HDA package.
- R4 Technology
- Linear control loop for optimal transient response
- Variable frequency and duty cycle control during load transient for fastest possible response
- Inherent voltage feed-forward for wide range input
- Input voltage range: 4.5V to 16.5V
- Output voltage range: 0.5V to 5V
- ±1.5% load and line regulation with remote sense
- Supports all ceramic solutions
- Integrated LDOs for single input rail solution
- 256 output voltage levels with a configuration pin
- Seven switching frequency options from 300kHz to 1MHz
- PFM operation option for improved light-load efficiency
- Start-up into precharged load
- Power-good monitor for soft-start and fault detection
- Comprehensive fault protection for high system reliability
- Over-temperature protection
- Output overcurrent and short-circuit protection
- Output overvoltage and undervoltage protection
- Open remote sense protection
- Input UVLO and power sequence as well as fault reset
- Thermally enhanced 12mmx11mmx5.3mm HDA package
Design Resources and Tools
Featured White Papers
Industry-Leading 10A and 15A Fully Encapsulated PMBus Power Modules
The ISL828xM hybrid digital and ISL821xM analog power modules feature integrated LDOs that enable single-supply operation. They leverage Renesas’ patented R4™ high-speed control loop architecture with inherent line voltage feed-forward, providing designers a unique combination of ultra-fast load transient response and high noise immunity. Their proprietary Grid HDA package offers unmatched electrical and thermal performance through a single-layer conductive package substrate that efficiently transfers heat from the module to the system board, and dissipates it without requiring airflow or heatsinks – even under heavy load conditions.
Key Features of the Newest Power Module Family
|Load Current (A)||15||10||15||10|
|Minimum VIN (V)||4.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|Maximum VIN (V)||16.5||16.5||16.5||16.5|
|Minimum VOUT (V)||0.5||0.5||0.5||0.5|
|Maximum VOUT (V)||5||5||5||5|
|Peak Efficiency (%)||95.2||95.2||95.2||95.2|
|Minimum Switching Frequency (kHz)||255||255||255||255|
|Maximum Switching Frequency (kHz)||1130||1130||1130||1130|