The ICL3237E contains 3.0V to 5.5V powered RS-232 transmitters/receivers that meet ElA/TIA-232 and V.28/V.24 specifications, even at VCC = 3.0V. It provides ±15kV ESD protection (IEC61000-4-2 Air Gap and Human Body Model) on transmitter outputs and receiver inputs (RS-232 pins). Targeted applications are cell phones, PDAs, Palmtops, and notebook and laptop computers where the low operational power and even lower standby power consumption is critical. Efficient on-chip charge pumps coupled with the manual powerdown function reduce the standby supply current to a 10nA trickle. Small footprint packaging and the use of small, low value capacitors ensure board space savings. Data rates greater than 1Mbps (MBAUD = VCC) are ensured at worst case load conditions. The ICL3237E is fully compatible with 3.3V only systems, mixed 3.3V and 5.0V systems, and 5.0V only systems.
The ICL3237E is a 5 driver, 3 receiver device that also includes a noninverting always-active receiver for “wake-up” capability.
Table 1 summarizes the features of the ICL3237E. Application Note AN9863 summarizes the features of each device comprising the ICL32xx RS-232 3V family.
- Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
- ESD protection for RS-232 I/O pins to ±15kV (IEC61000)
- Pin compatible replacement for MAX3237E
- Pin selectable, ensured data rate: 250kbps/1Mbps
- Meets EIA/TIA-232 and V.28/V.24 specifications at 3V
- RS-232 compatible with VCC = 2.7V
- Latch-up free
- On-chip voltage converters require only four external capacitors
- Manual powerdown feature
- Flow through pinout
- Rx and Tx hysteresis for improved noise immunity
- Rx active in powerdown; separate Rx Enable pin
- Guaranteed minimum slew rate: 6V/µs or 24V/µs
- Wide power supply range: Single +3V to +5.5V
- Low supply current in powerdown state: 10nA