The ISL78200 has flexible selection of operation modes of forced PWM mode and PFM mode. In PFM mode, the quiescent input current is as low as 300µA and can be further reduced to 180µA with AUXVCC connected to VOUT under 12V VIN and 5V VOUT application. The load boundary between PFM and PWM can be programmed to cover wide applications.
The low-side driver can be either used to drive an external low-side MOSFET for a synchronous buck, or left unused for a standard non-synchronous buck. The low-side driver can also be used to drive a boost converter as a pre-regulator that greatly expands the operating input voltage range down to 2.5V or lower (refer to “Typical Application Schematic III - Boost Buck Converters” on page 5).
The ISL78200 offers the most robust current protections. It uses peak current mode control with cycle-by-cycle current limiting. It is implemented with frequency foldback under current limit condition; in addition, the hiccup overcurrent mode is also implemented to guarantee reliable operations under harsh short conditions.
The ISL78200 has comprehensive protections against various faults including overvoltage and over-temperature protections, etc.
- Buck Mode: Input Voltage Range 3V to 40V (Refer to “Input Voltage” on page 14 for more details)
- Boost Mode Expands Operating Input Voltage Lower Than 2.5V (Refer to “Input Voltage” on page 14 for more details)
- Selectable Forced PWM Mode or PFM Mode
- 300µA IC Quiescent Current (PFM, No Load); 180µA Input Quiescent Current (PFM, No Load, VOUT Connected to AUXVCC)
- Less than 3µA Shut Down Input Current (IC Disabled)
- Operational Topologies
- Synchronous Buck
- Non-Synchronous Buck
- Two Stage Boost Buck
- Programmable Frequency from 200kHz - 2.2MHz and Frequency Synchronization Capability
- ±1% Tight Voltage Regulation Accuracy
- Reliable Cycle-by-Cycle Overcurrent Protection
- Temperature Compensated Current Sense
- Frequency Foldback
- Programmable OC Limit
- Hiccup Mode Protection in Worst Case Short Condition
- 20 Ld HTSSOP Package
- AEC Q100 Qualified
- Pb-Free (RoHS Compliant)
Design Resources and Tools