White Paper: Power Modules Achieve Superior Load Transient Response
The ISL8282M is a PMBus enabled DC/DC single channel step-down power supply featuring the proprietary Renesas R4™ Technology. The module supports a wide 4.5V to 16.5V input voltage range and a wide 0.5V to 5V output range capable of delivering up to 15A of continuous current. The ISL8282M achieves up to 95% conversion efficiency and is optimized for high power density. Integrated LDOs provide module bias voltage allowing for single supply operation. The ISL8282M includes a SMBus/PMBus/I2C interface for device configuration, telemetry (VIN, VOUT, IOUT, and temperature), and fault reporting.
The proprietary Renesas R4 control scheme has extremely fast transient performance, accurately regulated frequency control, and all internal compensation. An efficiency enhancing PFM mode greatly improves light-load efficiency. The ISL8282M’s serial bus allows for easy R4 loop optimization that results in fast transient performance across a wide range of applications including all ceramic output filters.
The ISL8282M has four 8-bit configuration pins that provide very flexible configuration options (such as frequency, VOUT, and AV gain) without the need for built-in NVM memory. As a result, the design flow closely matches traditional analog modules while still offering the design flexibility and feature set of a digital SMBus/PMBus/I2C interface. The ISL8282M features remote voltage sensing, completely eliminates any potential difference between remote and local ground, and improves regulation and protection accuracy. A precision enable input coordinates the startup of the ISL8282M with other voltage rails and is especially useful for power sequencing.
The ISL8282M integrates all power and most passive components to minimize the external components and significantly reduce design complexity and board space. The ISL8282M is available in a low-profile, thermally enhanced, compact 12mmx11mmx5.3mm fully encapsulated HDA package.
- R4 Technology
- Linear control loop for optimal transient response
- Variable frequency and duty cycle control during load transient for fastest possible response
- Inherent voltage feed-forward for wide range input
- Input voltage range: 4.5V to 16.5V
- Output voltage range: 0.5V to 5V
- ±1.5% load/line/temperature regulation with remote sense
- Supports all ceramic solutions
- Integrated LDOs for single input rail solution
- SMBus/PMBus/I2C compatible up to 1.25MHz
- 256 boot-up voltage levels with a configuration pin
- Seven switching frequency options from 300kHz to 1MHz
- PFM operation option for improved light-load efficiency
- Startup into precharged load
- Power-good monitor for soft-start and fault detection
- Comprehensive fault protection for high system reliability
- Over-temperature protection
- Output overcurrent and short-circuit protection
- Output overvoltage and undervoltage protection
- Open remote sense protection
- Input UVLO and power sequence, fault reset
- Compatible with Renesas PowerNavigator™ software
- Thermally enhanced 12mmx11mmx5.3mm HDA package
Design Resources and Tools
Featured White Papers
Industry-Leading 10A and 15A Fully Encapsulated PMBus Power Modules
The ISL828xM hybrid digital and ISL821xM analog power modules feature integrated LDOs that enable single-supply operation. They leverage Renesas’ patented R4™ high-speed control loop architecture with inherent line voltage feed-forward, providing designers a unique combination of ultra-fast load transient response and high noise immunity. Their proprietary Grid HDA package offers unmatched electrical and thermal performance through a single-layer conductive package substrate that efficiently transfers heat from the module to the system board, and dissipates it without requiring airflow or heatsinks – even under heavy load conditions.
Key Features of the Newest Power Module Family
|Load Current (A)||15||10||15||10|
|Minimum VIN (V)||4.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|Maximum VIN (V)||16.5||16.5||16.5||16.5|
|Minimum VOUT (V)||0.5||0.5||0.5||0.5|
|Maximum VOUT (V)||5||5||5||5|
|Peak Efficiency (%)||95.2||95.2||95.2||95.2|
|Minimum Switching Frequency (kHz)||255||255||255||255|
|Maximum Switching Frequency (kHz)||1130||1130||1130||1130|