Minimize power loss of power conversion systems and contribute greatly to energy savings
Feature 1: Ultra low loss achieved as the result of many years of process technology
Up to 30% improvement in the performance index for IGBTs — fast switching characteristics versus conduction-loss-determining low Vce(sat) — compared to previous generation
Until now, there has been a tradeoff between these two aspects and it was difficult to improve both at the same time. Our engineers achieved this improvement through technological improvements in microfabrication and thin wafer processing, resulting in IGBTs that realize the lowest loss characteristics in the industry.
Feature 2: Lineup of products with different voltage tolerances and design topologies suited to various applications
- Six new 650 V or 1250 V products for UPS or industrial inverter as the first group of 8th-generation IGBTs
- 1800 V products for wind power generation or solar inverter, and 650 V (supporting over 50 kHz) products for air conditioner or induction heating are planned
- Provides circuit design support by allowing users to select a suitable example circuit according to design topology for each application
Various other features that make designing easier and more flexible
- Use of TO-247 package consisting of metal on the reverse side with high heat radiation capabilities guarantees operation at high temperature of 175°C
- Standalone package for 75 A current range; discrete configuration enables flexible support for higher power
- Reduces feedback capacitance Cres by 80% compared to previous device and vastly improves switching noise performance
Details on ultra-low-loss 8th-generation IGBTs here!
Register for My Renesas to download materials about 8th-generation IGBTs, and to continue to receive the latest information as it comes out.