This transceiver requires a 5V ±10% tolerance supply, and delivers at least a 2.1V differential output voltage over this supply range. This translates into better noise immunity (data integrity), longer reach, or the ability to drive up to six 120Ω terminations in “star” or other nonstandard bus topologies at the exceptional 40Mbps data rate.
SCSI applications benefit from the ISL3160E’s low receiver and transmitter part-to-part skews. The ISL3160E is perfect for high speed parallel applications requiring simultaneous capture of large numbers of bits. The low bit-to-bit skew eases the timing constraints on the data latching signal.
Receiver (Rx) inputs feature a “full fail-safe” design, which ensures a logic high Rx output if Rx inputs are floating, shorted, or terminated but undriven. Rx outputs feature high drive levels (typically >30mA at VOL = 1V) to ease the design of optically isolated interfaces.
Hot plug circuitry ensures that the Tx and Rx outputs remain in a high impedance state while the power supply stabilizes.
Driver (Tx) outputs are short-circuit protected, even for voltages exceeding the power supply voltage. Additionally, on-chip thermal shutdown circuitry disables the Tx outputs to prevent damage if power dissipation becomes excessive.
- High ESD protection on RS-485 I/O pins: ±10kV
- Class 3 HBM ESD level on all other pins: >3kV
- Large differential VOUT 2.8V into 54Ω better noise immunity, or drive up to 6 terminations
- High data rates: up to 40Mbps
- Specified for +125°C operation (FBZ), +85°C (IBZ)
- 11/13ns (maximum) Tx/Rx propagation delays; 1.5ns (maximum) skew
- 1/5 unit load allows up to 160 devices on the bus
- Full fail-safe (open, shorted, terminated/undriven) receiver
- High Rx IOL to drive opto-couplers for isolated applications
- Hot plug - Tx and Rx outputs remain three-state during power-up
- Low quiescent supply current: 4mA
- Low current shutdown mode: 1μA
- -7V to +12V common-mode input voltage range
- Three-state Rx and Tx outputs
- Operates from a single +5V supply (10% tolerance)
- Current limiting and thermal shutdown for driver overload protection
- Pb-free (RoHS compliant)