CS+ (formerly CubeSuite+)
The CS+ integrated development environment provides simplicity, security, and ease of use in developing software through iterative cycles of editing, building, and debugging.
You can use the basic software tools for developing software for Renesas MCUs immediately after the initial installation. CS+ is also compatible with Renesas hardware tools including the E1 on-chip debugging emulator (sold separately), which facilitates advanced debugging. Abundant extensions and functions for user support ensure a dependable environment for all users.
Note: CS+ is not generally promoted in the U.S. and Europe. For customers in the U.S. and Europe who are interested in CS+, please contact our regional marketing departments for details.
New release: CS+ V6.00.00
It now supports the Smart Manual facility (for the RL78 and RX Families).
Compiler packages for the target products include CS+. Click here to refer to the package for each corresponding MCU. Combining a compatible emulator product with either edition of CS+ (commercial or evaluation) makes all types of debugging functions available.
CS+ Compiler Package
Latest Ver.: V6.00.00
Released: Jul 20, 2017
Details of upgrade (See Tool News)
To use the evaluation edition of CS+, select the [Downloads] tabbed page, search for [Evaluation Software], then select the version you would like to try from the results. The evaluation edition can be used as the commercial edition after purchasing a license key of the compiler package. For more information, select the [Design Support] tabbed page and scroll down to [Switch from evaluation edition to commercial edition].
CS+ now supports Smart Utilities and Quick and Effective (QE) tool solutions, which are available as solution toolkits. These represent a step forward from existing tools.
Quick reference to register information from the editor (and other panels) without having to scan through manuals
You can refer to the description of an SFR (special function register) or IOR (input/output register) by simply moving the mouse cursor over its name (only for CS+ for CC in projects for the RL78 or RX Family).
- Editor panel
- SFR and IOR panels
- Disassemble panel
You can also display a description of a desired register or specific pages of the hardware manuals from the [Smart Manual] panel.
View the information you require, including the contents of hardware manuals and sample code
You can use this feature, instead of a standard Web browser, to easily view the contents of the latest documents related to the device selected for the active project and to download sample code, if any, that comes with the applicable application notes. Note that this feature is only available in CS+ for CC.
- New releases and updated versions of documents are labeled “NEW” and “UPDATED”, respectively.
- Searching for FAQs that match keywords you have entered is also possible.
Comparing performance in optimization
Easy comparison of the results of optimization for speed, not only for size, and settings for this are quick and simple.
The build options for optimization of the programs are applied automatically, and you can compare the results of optimization for code size or execution speed and set optimization accordingly (only in CS+ for CC).
- By simply clicking on a button, you can display code sizes and execution times for multiple patterns of build options.
- Since the results of measurement are shown in different colors, you can easily check the effects of settings for small code size or fast execution.
- A pattern of options can be selected and immediately reflected in a project.
Interoperability with the Smart Configurator
Easy embedding of Renesas drivers in systems
The Smart Configurator is a GUI-based tool with functions for setting up drivers for peripheral modules, middleware for embedding, and pin assignments. You can output optimal source code for Renesas MCUs or combine FIT modules with your own code (RX only). From V6.00.00, CS+ supports interoperability with the Smart Configurator for the RX Family.
- Activate the Smart Configurator from CS+.
- Add the files generated by the Smart Configurator to your CS+ project.
Details of the Smart Configurator
[Debugging CAN bus reception procedures]
No need for an actual other party when debugging communications
The inter-channel communications facility of the RS-CAN module is applied to facilitate early stages in the debugging of network communications without an actual other party. A desired CAN channel or reception of a desired type of frame can be debugged in this way. The RS-CAN module of the device must, of course, have at least two channels if this is to be used (Only for RH850 family devices).
- Simply set the desired data and channel to make a program handle reception.
- Not only single frames but sequences of frames in a specified order can be transmitted.
- Creating test data is a smooth process since data for transmission can be imported and exported.
Viewing the latest help files
You can view help information for CS+ online (only in CS+ for CC).
- You can thus view the latest versions of help files.
- You can consult help information from the Web in your customary Web browser and search for items in the browser.
- The existing function for viewing help files installed on the host PC is still in place.
- See “Online Help of CS+” from here.
CAN communication time measurement solution
[Measuring times for CAN bus reception]
This allows you to measure the response times for CAN bus transfer (up to the start of processing by the program after reception).
You can measure the CAN communications response times with the use of an E2 emulator, eliminating the need for an expensive CAN analyzer. This helps in the detection of problems at early stages (RH850 only).
- Response times are important in CAN communications. This facility makes measuring response times easy.
- A program can be made to stop when the response time is not within the allowable range.
- After stopping the program, you can check the trace data or the history of CAN communications.
Current consumption tuning solution
[Measuring current drawn]
You can check the relations between program operations and changes in current drawn by measuring system currents.
The E2 emulator allows you to measure system currents without using an ammeter. This helps to shorten the times taken in operations for the tuning of current drawn (only for CS+ for CC in projects for the RL78 Family).
- Check the relations between system current and the operations of programs without having to modify your board or program.
- Simply specify the condition and the program will stop when excessive current is detected.
- You can also use monitoring points, in a similar manner to the setting of breakpoints, to monitor the relationship between the behavior of the program and values for current.
Refer to the QE for Current Consumption page for details.
Verification through fault injection
Abnormal states which are hard to realize can be set up with this system.
States which would be hard to set up on the actual system can be created by injecting artificial faults (pseudo-errors). This allows the effective debugging of program actions in response to detecting the corresponding abnormal condition. This facility is only available on RH850 Family MCUs equipped with the Error Control Module (ECM).
- Various pseudo-faults can be injected for MCUs, such as ECC errors and lock-step errors. Multiple pseudo-errors can be generated simultaneously.
- You can easily set breakpoints at and after the location pointed to by the interrupt vector for the error, and use these to debug program operation in response to the error.
- When various errors have occurred, you can check them in the [Pseudo-Error Debugging] panel.
Verification of safety
[Exclusive control check tool]
Check variables in access-prohibited areas to see that they have not been changed.
You can easily detect if variables have not been changed in specific areas (e.g., in an area where interrupts are allowed). You can also use this feature to check for the correct application of exclusive control.
- Which functions access specified variables can be checked on a list of access (reading and writing). This is only for CS+ for CC.
- Overwriting of variables in specific areas (the spaces taken up by specified functions) can be detected and indicated as errors. Such errors can be debugged by jumping from the overwritten address to the corresponding line of source code. This is only for RH850 devices.(Note)
This will also require V1.04.00 of the CC-RH C compiler for the RH850 family.
Collective output of quality-related information
You can use this feature for the collective output of quality-related information such as listings of source files, build option settings, information on functions and variables, and coverage rates. Note that this feature is only available in CS+ for CC. CS+ supports the output of information on various items, which is useful in verifying the security of user-created programs.
[Types of information that can be output]
- Project trees, lists of dependencies, contents of the [Property] panel
- Quality reports on building
- Results of profiling of memory maps
- Lists of functions and variables, analysis charts, call graphs, and tables of access to functions and variables
Other Aspects of Simplicity, Security, and Ease of Use
[Tutorials Make Things Easy]
Anyone can freely experience the CS+ IDE from the creation to the debugging of programs by going through the procedures given as tutorials.
[Easy Code Generation(Note)]
The control programs (device driver programs) to control MCU peripheral features (timers, UARTs, A/D convertors, and so on) can be automatically generated from GUI settings.
The APIs for code generation have common specifications for every family of MCUs. Once you have used this code generation feature in developing a program, the only thing you will need to do when changing to another MCU with the same internal peripheral functionality is to replace the device drivers. This dramatically reduces person-hours for development. Hence, developers can concentrate on learning the new peripheral features instead of spending time repeating work that’s already been done.
The generated program code is in the C language. From the GUI, even a beginner on an MCU can see at a glance why a given setting is made or what procedure is being performed.
This feature is not supported for certain MCUs.
In the conventional development environment, you had to execute all building after editing all of the source files. Building thus took a long time. The rapid building functionality of CS+, which automatically executes building from source files in the background every time they are modified or stored, dramatically reduces times taken for building.
Furthermore, an “action event” feature is implemented for displaying the values of variables following execution of the program code at a given address.
The variable display feature can be specified by simply right-clicking on the mouse, so you can debug your code smoothly without spending time on extra build operations.
[Viewing and Finding]
The values of variables as the program is running can be displayed in an oscilloscope-like graphical form, so you can develop programs with an intuitive understanding of the analog changes which are essential to sensor applications and so on.
Also, identifying processes that impose heavy loads from the ratios of execution times of functions or from call graphs makes for efficient tuning of the performance of the system as a whole.
Analytical features such as sorted displays of functions or variables, output of CSV files, and the detection of definitions and declarations simplifies the management and maintenance of even relatively big and complex program structures.
The IDE has an efficient backup feature that can store and extract projects and tools in and from a file format.
[CS+ supported emulators]
The following emulators (sold separately) can be used with CS+ to debug programs.
- E1 emulator
- E2 emulator
- E2 emulator Lite
- E20 emulator
- MINICUBE (Discontinued product)
- MINICUBE2 (Discontinued product)
[Optional debugger extension product]
CS+ Partner OS Aware Debugging Plug-in (download free of charge) can support task level debugging of real-time OS applications on CS+.
[Model-Based Development Environment]
We offer a co-simulation tool for interlinked operation of CS+ with MATLAB® and Simulink®.
- PILS means the simulation of the generated code on the target processor.
Product Line up
|RL78||C Compiler and IDE for RL78 Family Standard Edition||Compiler package for RL78 Family (CC-RL), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RL78 Family Standard Edition with Floating License||Compiler package for RL78 Family (CC-RL), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, a floating license management tool, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RL78 Family Professional Edition||Compiler package for RL78 Family (CC-RL), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RL78 Family Professional Edition with Floating License||Compiler package for RL78 Family (CC-RL), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, a floating license management tool, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RL78/78K Family||Compiler package for RL78 Family and 78K Family (CA78K0R), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|RX||C/C++ Compiler and IDE for RX Family Standard Edition||Compiler package for RX Family (CC-RX), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|C/C++ Compiler and IDE for RX Family Standard Edition with Floating License||Compiler package for RX Family (CC-RX), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, a floating license management tool, etc..|
|C/C++ Compiler and IDE for RX Family Professional Edition||Compiler package for RX Family (CC-RX), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|C/C++ Compiler and IDE for RX Family Professional Edition with Floating License||Compiler package for RX Family (CC-RX), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, a floating license management tool, etc..|
|RH850||C Compiler and IDE for RH850 Family Standard Edition||Compiler package for RH850 Family (CC-RH), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RH850 Family Standard Edition with Floating License||Compiler package for RH850 Family (CC-RH), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, a floating license management tool, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RH850 Family Professional Edition||Compiler package for RH850 Family (CC-RH), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|C Compiler and IDE for RH850 Family Professional Edition with Floating License||Compiler package for RH850 Family (CC-RH), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, a floating license management tool, etc..|
|V850||C Compiler and IDE for V850 Family||Compiler package for V850 Family (CA850, CX), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
|78K0R||C Compiler and IDE for RL78/78K Family||Compiler package for RL78 Family and 78K Family (CA78K0R, CA78K0), including IDE (CS+), a simulator, etc..|
When ordering, please contact your local Renesas Electronics marketing office or distributor.
Compiler versions that support the floating licenses are as follows.
- C Compiler Package for RL78 Family (CC-RL) V1.01.00 or later
- C Compiler Package for RH850 Family (CC-RH) V1.02.00 or later
- C/C++ Compiler Package for RX Family (CC-RX) V2.03.00 or later
"Functions Supported by CS+" list.
Below you will find information to support the development of your application.
Information supporting development tools
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services,
receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information,
questions and opinions with others who use Renesas MCU's.
|Tool News||Tool release information and other important information.|
|Operating Environment||Information on system requirements and operating environment for the latest
version of tools.
|Info on Discontinued Products||A list of Renesas software and tools that have been discontinued and
are no longer being offered for new projects.
|How to find the version number|
|Information on Support by CS+ for beginners (Information such as on the manuals for CS+ divided by theme.)|
|Referring to "Online Help of CS+"|
|Migrating between Integrated Development Environments|
Component Update Information
- CS+ for CC
- CS+ for CA,CX
- Device Information:
- Code Generator:
- Integrated Help
- CS+ Utilities
- Emulator Utilities
- USB Driver
- USB Driver for MCU Tools (for 32-bit version of Windows OS)
- USB Driver for MCU Tools (IE850,PG-FP5) (for 32-bit version of Windows OS)
- USB Driver for MCU Tools (for 64-bit version of Windows OS)
- USB Driver for Renesas E-Series
- USB Driver for MINICUBE2 (32bit version)
- USB Driver for 78K0 IECUBE (32bit version)
- USB Driver for RL78,78K0R IECUBE (32bit version)
- USB Driver for V850 IECUBE (32bit version)
- USB Driver for V850 IECUBE2 (32bit version)
- USB Driver for V850 MINICUBE (32bit version)
- Update Manager
- Quick and Effective tool solution - QE
Switch from evaluation edition to commercial edition
To use a license to upgrade CS+ to the commercial edition, enter the license key printed on a purchased compiler package to CS+ while installing it or after installing the evaluation edition. This lifts the restrictions on functions of the target MCUs, upgrading CS+ to the commercial edition. For details, see manuals:
Update CS+ for the RX family from V1 to V2
Note that updating CS+ for the RX family from V1 to V2 of the commercial edition is not free-of-charge and requires that the customer obtain a separate license key. In other words, if a user has a license key for V1 of CS+ for the RX family but not for V2, updating CS+ from V1 to V2 only provides the free evaluation edition of V2. You can, of course, continue to use the commercial edition of CS+ V1 alongside the evaluation edition of CS+ V2.
Users holding license keys to the older CubeSuite products
Users holding license keys to the older CubeSuite products indicated below are able to use the corresponding commercial editions of CS+.
- A free upgrade to the commercial edition of CS+ for the RL78 and 78K families is available to users holding a license key for CubeSuite for the 78K family (discontinued product).
- A free upgrade to the commercial edition of CS+ for the V850 family is available to users holding a license key for CubeSuite for the V850 family (discontinued product).
Change to the name of the CS+ integrated development environment
The name of CubeSuite+ has been changed to "CS+" with the upgrade to V3.00.00 on October 1, 2014.
From now on, we plan to enhance the contents of the integrated development environment as CS+ with the aim of meeting customer meets through increased user friendliness.
Licenses you have already acquired for CubeSuite+ will carry over to CS+. That is, customers who already have licenses can also use them for the product version of CS+.