The PDxxSIM I/O DLL kit provides a means for extending the functions of the M3T-PDxxSIM simulator debugger. This kit supports the creation of I/O DLLs.
The I/O DLL refers to a DLL (Note1) that operates in cooperation with the simulator engine of the M3T-PDxxSIM.
Once the necessary settings are made, the M3T-PDxxSIM allows you to load an I/O DLL and operate it synchronously with the timing at which instructions are single-stepped, memory is read or written or an interrupt occurs. That way, the operation of the input/output ports or the internal peripheral functions of the microcomputer can be simulated as a means of debugging the target program. Furthermore, linked operation with an external tool can be realized by, for example, sending and receiving data to and from that tool.
Any desired I/O DLL can be created by using C/C++ language. To create an I/O DLL, you need to have Microsoft Visual C++, a Windows application development environment available on the market.
- DLL is the acronym of Dynamic Link Library. This is a function of the operating system that allows you to save executable routines (routines that supply a specific function or a set of functions) to be saved separately as a file with the extension ".dll". These routines are loaded only when they are needed by the calling program.
Linkage Between the Simulator Engine and an I/O DLL
The simulator engine calls the functions that have been predefined on the I/O DLL side synchronously with the timing shown below:
- After executing one instruction (number of execution cycles)
- Before execution (PC value)
- When the target is reset
- When an interrupt occurs
- Immediately before memory read (address information)
- Immediately after memory write (address information)
Conversely, the following functions that have been made public for the simulator engine can be called from the I/O DLL side:
- Get memory contents
- Set a memory value
- Get a register value
- Set a register value
- Interrupt occurrence
- Confirm interrupt occurrence condition
- Inspect the total number of cycles executed
Supported Simulator Debuggers
The PDxxSIM I/O DLL kit is supported by the following simulator debuggers :
- M3T-PD32RSIM V.2.00 Release 1 or later
- M3T-PD308SIM V.3.00 Release 2 or later (Discontinued product)
- M3T-PD30SIM V.5.00 Release 1 or later (Discontinued product)
Note: For the High-performance Embedded Workshop environment, use the I/O DLL Kit.
Development Tools Used
To create an I/O DLL, you need to have Microsoft Visual C++, a Windows application development environment available on the market.
The sample programs are stored in a location at the hierarchical level below the directory in which the PDxxSIM I/O DLL kit is installed (e.g., below c:\mtool\idoll\samples). Refer to the release note for details on how to install the PDxxSIM I/O DLL kit.
|I/O DLL to link with Excel from Microsoft Corporation|
|I/O DLL to read/write data from a file|
|I/O DLL to simulate the operation of a microcomputer's internal peripheral functions|
Information supporting development tools
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services,receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.|
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information,
questions and opinions with others who use Renesas MCU's.
|Tool News||Tool release information and other important information.|
|Operating Environment||Information on system requirements and operating environment for the latest version of tools.|
|Info on Discontinued Products||A list of Renesas software and tools that have been discontinued and are no longer being offered for new projects.|