This is a reference design of a thermoelectric Peltier controller using an high-precision AFE-mounted MCU, RX23E-A. It is capable of realizing measurement, calculation and the control necessary to perform temperature control with a single RX23E-A chip,
The Thermoelectric Peltier Controller (TEC) is a temperature controller for heating and cooling that utilizes a phenomenon called the Peltier effect. The TEC is widely used in consumer and industrial applications for temperature and has following features.
- Easy switching between heating and cooling depending on the direction of current
- High precision and fast response temperature control
- With no mechanical driving part, easy to miniaturize and generating no vibration or noise
This reference design consists of the application note describing a control design, hardware design and software design, and the sample program. By using this reference design, you can easily try temperature control using RX23E-A.
We have test-manufactured a demo unit and evaluated response characteristics and control resolution. The temperature response of the Peltier module with temperature control shortened the time to reach the final value of 63.2% from 24.9 sec to 3.18 sec compared to the response without temperature control, indicating a significant improvement in responsiveness. In addition, it is confirmed that the Peltier Controller can be controlled in a resolution of 5m℃ or less because it responds to changes in command values in steps of 5m℃.
- Equipped with AFE-mounted MCU, RX23E-A
- RX23E-A is capable of highly accurately measuring and controlling temperature with a single chip.
- It makes an external dedicated AFE unnecessary, thereby reducing the BOM cost and the board mounting area.
- Temperature and current measurement by ADC
- 24bitΔΣ ADC and excitation current source enables 3-wire Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD)'s measurement.
- Full-bridge circuit’s current measurement by 12bitSAR ADC
- PID Control Calculation by RXv2 Core
- Cascade control implementation of current control and temperature control improves both response and stability.
- PWM Control by Utilizing Peripheral Functions
- Complementary PWM output enables power-efficient control.
- Equipped with various power devices
- Half-bridge Driver ISL2111ABZ
- DC/DC converter ISL8560IRZ
- Power MOSFET RJK0654DPB
- Application note
- Sample program
- Circuit diagram (included in application note)