Intersil's beverage coaster reference design showcases the Renesas Synergy S3 MCU with the ISL8202M 3A power module and several other power and analog signal chain components.
The beverage coaster reference design lights up, plays music, and indicates beverage drinkability!
The coaster features a Renesas SynergyTM Platform S3-series MCU, and multiple power/analog components from the Intersil product line. There are also five RGB LEDs and an ambient light sensor on the top.
As a beverage approaches the coaster center, the LEDs blink with increasing frequency until the drink is set down on top. A TE Connectivity thermistor indicates if your beverage is too warm (flashes red) or just right (flashes blue) while “The Chicken Dance” plays in the background. Simply press the switch on the back of the coaster to turn the board on or off.
- Detects beverage proximity; LEDs flash
- Detects beverage placement; LEDs solid & song plays
- Indicates beverage drinkability
- Utilizes low power consumption
- Low continuous active current with on/off switch
- Powered with two AAA batteries
- Quickly designed utilizing Synergy SSP’s Application Programming Interface (API)
The following Intersil and partner products are featured in this reference design:
- ISL21440 - Programmable Temperature Slope Voltage Reference
- ISL28133 - Single Micropower, Chopper Stabilized, RRIO Operational Amplifier
- ISL28534 - 5V, Rail-to-Rail I/O, Zero-Drift, Single Ended Output Programmable Gain Instrumentation Amplifier
- ISL29102 - Low Power Ambient Light-to-Voltage Nonlinear Converter
- ISL9111 - Low Input Voltage, High Efficiency Synchronous Boost Converter
- Synergy S3A7 - Renesas Microcontroller
- GA10K3A1B - TE Connectivity thermistor
This reference design is intended to be a fun way to serve beverages. The PCB board is self-contained inside a plastic casing to protect it from accidental spills and overflowing foam.
Disclaimer: THIS MATERIAL IS PROVIDED “AS-IS” FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY. RENESAS ELECTRONICS CORPORATION AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES (collectively, “Renesas”) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND MERCHANTABILITY. Renesas provides evaluation platforms and design proposals to help our customers to develop products. However, factors beyond Renesas' control, including without limitation, component variations, temperature changes and PCB layout, could significantly affect the product performance. It is the user’s responsibility to verify the actual circuit performance.