The ISL315xE family of 5V powered RS-485/RS-422 transceivers features high output drive and high ESD protection. The devices withstand ±16.5kV IEC61000-4-2 ESD strikes without latch-up. The large output voltage of 3.1V typical into a 54Ω load provides high noise immunity, and enables the drive of up to 8000ft long bus segments, or eight 120Ω terminations in a star topology.
These devices possess less than 125µA bus input currents, thus constituting a true 1/8 unit load. The high output drive combined with the low bus input currents allows for connecting up to 512 transceivers on the same bus.
The receiver inputs feature a full fail-safe design that turns the receiver outputs high when the bus inputs are open or shorted.
The ISL315xE family includes half and full-duplex transceivers with active-high driver-enable pins and active-low receiver enable pins. These transceivers support data rates of 115kbps, 1Mbps, and 20Mbps. Their performance is characterized from -40°C to +85°C.
- High VOD: 3.1V (Typ) into RD = 54Ω
- Low bus currents: 125µA constitutes a true 1/8 unit load
- Allows for up to 512 transceivers on the bus
- ±16.5kV ESD protection on bus I/O pins
- High transient overvoltage tolerance of ±100V
- Full fail-safe outputs for open or shorted inputs
- Hot plug capability - driver and receiver outputs remain high-impedance during power-up and power-down
- Supported data rates: 115kbps, 1Mbps, 20Mbps
- Low supply current (driver disabled): 550µA
- Ultra-low shutdown current: 70nA
- Automated utility e-meter reading systems
- High node count systems
- PROFIBUS and Fieldbus systems in factory automation
- Security camera networks
- Lighting, elevator, and HVAC control systems in building automation
- Industrial process control networks
- Networks with star topology
- Long-haul networks in coal mines and oil rigs