The ISL85005 and ISL85005A are monolithic, synchronous buck regulators with integrated 5A, 18V high-side and low-side FETs. These devices provide an integrated bootstrap diode for the high-side gate driver to reduce the external parts count. These devices also have a wide input voltage range to support applications with input voltage from multi-cell batteries or regulated 5V and 12V power rails.
The ISL85005 and ISL85005A regulate the output voltage with current mode control and have an internal oscillator. The switching frequency of the ISL85005 is internally set as 500kHz, and can be synchronized to an external clock signal with frequency ranges from 300kHz to 2MHz. The ISL85005A has a fixed 500kHz switching frequency.
The ISL85005 has a fixed 2.3ms soft-start, while the ISL85005A features programmable soft-start to limit inrush current during startup. With the SS pin floating, the soft-start time of ISL85005A is also 2.3ms.
The ISL85005 can be configured in either forced Continuous Conduction Mode (CCM) or Diode Emulation Mode (DEM). DEM enables high efficiency at light-load conditions. The ISL85005A always operates in forced CCM.
The ISL85005 and ISL85005A have built-in protections including input UVLO protection, input and output overvoltage protection, high-side cycle-by-cycle current limit, low-side forward current limit and reverse current limit, and thermal shutdown.
- 4.5V to 18V input voltage range
- Internal 5A, 18V high-side and low-side MOSFET switches
- ±1%, 0.8V feedback voltage reference
- Integrated bootstrap diode with undervoltage detection
- Current mode control with internal slope compensation
- Internal or external compensation options
- Default internally set 500kHz switching frequency
- Synchronization capability to external clock (ISL85005)
- Diode Emulation Mode (DEM) and Forced CCM (FCCM) options (ISL85005)
- Adjustable soft-start time (ISL85005A)
- Output Power-Good (PG) indicator
- Input Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO), input and output overvoltage protection
- High-side cycle-by-cycle current limit, low-side forward and reverse overcurrent protection, and thermal shutdown
- Small 12-pin 3mm x 4mm Dual Flat No-Lead (DFN) package with EPAD for enhanced thermal performance
- Network and communications equipment
- Battery powered systems
- Multifunction printers
- Point-of-load regulators
- Standard 12V rail supplies
- Embedded computing systems
Design Resources and Tools