The ISL8277M is a 25A step-down DC/DC power supply module with an integrated digital PWM controller, synchronous power switches, an inductor, and passives. Only bulk input and output capacitors are needed to finish the design. The 25A of continuous output current can be delivered without a need of airflow or a heatsink. The thermally enhanced HDA module is capable of dissipating heat directly into the PCB.
The ISL8277M uses ChargeMode™ control architecture, which responds to a transient load within a single switching cycle. The ISL8277M comes with a preprogrammed configuration for operating in a pin-strap mode. Output voltage, switching frequency, and device SMBus address can be programmed with external resistors. More configuration such as soft-start and fault limits can be easily programmed or changed using the PMBus compliant serial bus interface. PMBus can be used to monitor voltages, current, temperatures, and fault status. The ISL8277M is supported by PowerNavigator™ software, a graphical user interface (GUI) that can be used to configure modules to a desired solution.
The ISL8277M is available in a 41-pin compact 17mm x 19mm HDA module with very low profile height of 3.6mm, suitable for automated assembly by standard surface mount equipment. The ISL8277M is RoHS compliant by exemption.
- Complete digital switch mode power supply
- Wide VIN range: 4.5V to 14V
- Programmable VOUT range: 0.6V to 5V
- PMBus compliant I2C communication interface
- Programmable VOUT, margining, UV/OV, IOUT limit, soft-start/stop, sequencing, and external synchronization
- Monitor: VIN, VOUT, IOUT, temperature, duty cycle, switching frequency, and faults
- ChargeMode control architecture
- ±1.0% VOUT accuracy over line, load, and temperature
- Power-good indicator
- Over-temperature protection
- Internal nonvolatile memory and fault logging
- Patented thermally enhanced HDA package
- Intuitive configuration via PowerNavigator
- Server, telecom, storage, and datacom
- Industrial/ATE and networking equipment
- General purpose power for ASIC, FPGA, DSP, and memory
Design Resources and Tools
Featured White Papers
Industry-Leading 10A and 15A Fully Encapsulated PMBus Power Modules
The ISL828xM hybrid digital and ISL821xM analog power modules feature integrated LDOs that enable single-supply operation. They leverage Renesas’ patented R4™ high-speed control loop architecture with inherent line voltage feed-forward, providing designers a unique combination of ultra-fast load transient response and high noise immunity. Their proprietary Grid HDA package offers unmatched electrical and thermal performance through a single-layer conductive package substrate that efficiently transfers heat from the module to the system board, and dissipates it without requiring airflow or heatsinks – even under heavy load conditions.
Key Features of the Newest Power Module Family
|Load Current (A)||15||10||15||10|
|Minimum VIN (V)||4.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|Maximum VIN (V)||16.5||16.5||16.5||16.5|
|Minimum VOUT (V)||0.5||0.5||0.5||0.5|
|Maximum VOUT (V)||5||5||5||5|
|Peak Efficiency (%)||95.2||95.2||95.2||95.2|
|Minimum Switching Frequency (kHz)||255||255||255||255|
|Maximum Switching Frequency (kHz)||1130||1130||1130||1130|