The µPD720211 is a two-port USB 3.0 hub controller, which complies with the Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification and is compatible with Renesas' industry-standard host controllers. The controller provides two downstream USB ports. Each of these ports is fully backward compatible with all previous versions of USB LS (Low-Speed) / FS (Full-Speed) / HS (High-Speed) / SS (SuperSpeed) operation.
Adding a new two-port hub controller to the lineup alongside Renesas' world's first certified USB 3.0 four-port hub controller (part number µPD720210) increases system designers' options for USB 3.0 hub expansion with products such as PCs, tablets, display monitors, docking stations (function expansion units that connect to notebook PCs), and digital TVs. The addition of the two-port hub controller (µPD720211) supports designs with tighter space and cost budgets while expanding the USB 3.0 connectivity to utilize the increasing number and performance of USB 3.0 peripherals devices available in the market.
The two-port hub controller employs a quad flat no-lead (QFN) package, which is presently the industry-leading small package for USB 3.0 hub controller chips and integrates a voltage step-down regulator equivalent to that of existing hub controllers as well as peripheral components required for rapid charging of tablets, smartphones, etc. In addition, the two-port hub controller delivers industry-leading small power consumption at approximately 5 milliwatts (mW) in low-power mode and approximately 350mW during USB 3.0 operation.
- Compliant with Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification Revision 1.0, which is released by USB Implementers Forum, Inc.
- Low-Speed (1.5Mbps) / Full-Speed (12Mbps) / High-Speed (480Mbps) / SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
- USB-IF Certfied: TID (Test ID) = 330000044
- Has Windows Hardware Certification for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (Submission ID = 1651367)
- USB ports: 1 upstream port, 2 downstream ports
- VDD: 3.3V, 1.05V
- Clock: 24MHz Xtal clock input
- Package: 56-pin QFN (8mm x 8mm)
- Ta: 0 °C to 70 °C
- Standalone hub, monitor hub, PC docking station
- Hub integrated in PC
- Digital TV, Blu-ray recorder, set-top box
- USB storage device, network attached storage (NAS)
- Mobile phone external battery