To support the growth of the new Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) and Industry 4.0 initiatives, industrial designers are leveraging Ethernet-based industrial networking protocols such as EtherCAT®, PROFINET® and Ethernet/IP™ to enable real-time connectivity in the factory floor, resulting in improved operational efficiencies and reduced costs.
The challenge is selecting a cost-effective platform that supports the leading protocols, while implementing technologies to improve management of complex real-time operations.
Support Multiple Protocols With a Single Chip
Simplify your designs with the Renesas R-IN32M3 platform solution which supports multiple leading Industrial Ethernet protocols all within a single chip. There is no need for additional ASICs, or FPGAs with cost prohibitive NREs and royalties, not to mention untested protocol partners. The R-IN32M3 includes license-free EtherCAT® and CC-Link® IE slave controllers plus free, pretested sample code that will get you started in your designs faster.
R-IN Engine – Accelerate Network Performance
The R-IN Engine is an integrated processor subsystem that includes hardware ethernet and RTOS accelerators that improve network performance by up to 5x faster compared with conventional microcontroller solutions.
Typical TCP/IP messaging has up to 90% overhead for processing the header encoder/decoder, buffer management, and checksum. With the unique Ethernet accelerator of the R-IN32M3, this operation is executed in hardware and significantly reduces frame processing latency.
Additionally, as industrial systems become more complex and integrated, the need for an efficient RTOS becomes more critical. The R-IN32M3 incorporates a patented "Hardware RTOS" that performs the task scheduling and priorities, sets event flags, etc., dramatically reducing the burden of the CPU and improves ISR response with minimal jitter.
The R-IN Engine comprises of a ARM Cortex CPU core, Ethernet accelerator, and RTOS accelerator to improve networking performance
R-IN32M3 Series ASSP Benefits:
- Reduce BOM costs by supporting multiple protocols from a single platform device
- License-free, on-chip controllers such EtherCAT or CC-Link IE eliminates expensive ASICs or FPGAs
- Supports many leading industrial protocols including Ethernet/IP, PROFINET, Modbus TCP, and CANopen®
- Improve performance and simplify design with optimized hardware accelerators
- Ethernet accelerator reduces overhead due to checksum operation and buffer management
- Hardware real-time operating system (RTOS) accelerates interrupt service routines and reduces jitter
- Advanced networking subsystem
- Dual-channel 10/100/1000 Ethernet
- Built-in dual-channel PHY*
- 2-port real-time Gigabit Ethernet switch
- More than 1MB of on-chip RAM
Extensive Partner Ecosystem
Robust Partner Ecosystem Simplifies Development, Speeds Market Entry
The R-IN32M3 is truly one stop shop helping designers of industrial control networks meet strict time to market requirements where multiple industrial protocols are needed.
A robust partner network promotes easy access to variety of industrial ethernet software allowing users to focus on their applications.
Product Block Diagrams
● EtherCAT slave support
● 2-port internal EtherPHY
● CC-Link IE Field (intelligent device station) support
● Built-in MII/GMII interface
The R-IN32M3 Series is suitable for use in the communication unit of slave devices in field networks and motion networks
Target products: PLC, remote IO, CNC, AC drive (inverter), robot, servo drive, servo motor
- Arm and Cortex are trademarks and registered trademarks of Arm Limited.
- Ethernet is a registered trademark of Fuji Xerox Co., Ltd. in Japan.
- IEEE is a registered trademark of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
- EtherCAT is a registered trademark of Beckhoff Automation GmbH, Germany.
- CC-Link and CC-Link IE Field are registered trademarks of the CC-Link Partner Association (CLPA).
- Other names of products or services mentioned in this document are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Below you will find information to support the development of your application.
Resources for Software and Hardware
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services, receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.|
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information, questions and opinions with others who use Renesas products.|
|Video||Watch videos related to this product.|