The e² studio is an Eclipse-based integrated development environment (IDE) for Renesas MCUs. In addition to Eclipse’s own powerful code editor, the e² studio offers a rich range of extended functions. The e² studio covers all development processes, from the downloading of sample code to debugging.
New Feature – Simpler Development of IoT Devices Connectable with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The e² studio offers the following powerful functions to support the development of Amazon FreeRTOS-supported software for IoT devices to be connectable with AWS.
- Quick building after downloading the latest version of Amazon FreeRTOS project directly from GitHub®
- Assisting in configuring Amazon FreeRTOS, all required drivers, network stacks (TCP/IP, Wi-Fi, MQTT, etc.), and component libraries (Device Shadow, etc.). (Note1)
- Embedding additional middleware and drivers (such as for USB and file-system support) in IoT devices
- Configurable Amazon FreeRTOS components are MQTT, Greengrass Discovery, Device Shadow, Secure Sockets, and TCP/IP.
The e² studio IDE covers all aspects of development.
- Sample code, middleware, and information on Renesas products in the Renesas website are available for viewing via the Smart Browser on the e² studio.
- GUI environments ease device configuration. Various extended functions (the Smart Configurator and QE tools) support efficient development.
- Eclipse’s handy native editor provides powerful assistance for creating application code.
- You can choose a compiler from Renesas or our partner vendors when building.
- An emulator from Renesas (such as the E2 or E2 Lite) or from our partner vendors can be used for debugging.
Easily Create Projects and Code Especially for Renesas MCUs.
e² studio includes a project generator to speed up the initial project set up. Developers can select devices, initial compiler options and debuggers. e² studio will then prepare a preconfigured project with all the necessary support files such as device specific headers. The project is now ready for build and debug.
Renesas also supports code generation tools: Smart Configurator and Code generator plug-in.
Smart Configurator can generate ready-to-use codes for Renesas microcontrollers via GUI including pin assignments, and clocks and interrupts configuration.
For information, visit Smart Configurator web page. >>
Code generator plug-in is an automatic driver generation tool for internal peripheral I/O modules of Renesas microcontrollers. Developers can generate drivers for peripheral I/O modules easily through GUI settings. (Some Renesas devices are not supported.)
Reuse Existing Resources by Importing Projects from Other IDEs.
e² studio can import projects that were created in CS+ integrated development environment or HEW (High-performance Embedded Workshop). e² studio can also export projects to CS+.
The project importing function is supported in e² studio V 2.1 or later, CS + V 3.00.00 or later, and CubeSuite + V 2.00.00 or later.
Easy-to-Use Eclipse C/C++ Development Tooling (CDT) Editor
The Eclipse CDT (C/C++ Development Tooling) editor built into e² studio offers extremely powerful functionality specifically designed for C/C++ developers. These features include:
- Automatic code complement (variable names, function names, struct/union members, #define symbols, correction codes in code format standard, spelling check, etc.)
- Keyword color coding of source code for easy recognition of special strings, syntax, condition statements
- Powerful code navigation (Project browser, functions or variables by including #include, functions, hierarchical types, Jump to definition of functions or macros)
- Comment and code folding options
- Automated code constructs (if, while, do..while etc.)
- Pre-processor checking in edit (#ifdef code low-lighted if not true)
- Code refactoring (Changing name of variable at once, Simplifying function codes)
Simple Settings for Building through a GUI; Select a Compiler from Renesas or Our Partner Vendors.
e² studio can build with Renesas or Partner compiler. Compilers should be installed on e² studio individually and specific compiler can be selected before building.
For information of supporting devices by Renesas or Partner compilers, please refer to the table. >>
Single uniform built-in GUI configures all toolchain options and it automatically generates 'makefile' to perform build process.
High-Spec. Debugging Functions in Combination with the Standard GNU Debugger (GDB)
The standard GDB debugger supplied as part of the Eclipse CDT includes support for common debug functionality such as CPU register display, memory manipulation, simple breakpoints and run control.
All these features have been implemented in e² studio however Renesas has also developed number of extensions to enable access to advanced debug functionality available on the target devices.
Extended debugger plug-ins are supplied in e² studio to support real time memory, real time trace, peripheral register display and complex hardware event breakpoints etc.
In addition, extended debugger plug-ins support Renesas and Partner emulator such as E1, E2, E2 Emulator Lite, E20, and Segger’s J-link.
High Expandability as an Eclipse-Based IDE
The e² studio consists of the open-source Eclipse integrated environment framework, CDT plug-in, and various plug-ins from Renesas and our partner vendors. This structure makes it easy to add or update compilers and plug-ins, making the e² studio a highly multi-functional and expandable IDE.
In addition to the tool plug-ins from Renesas and our partner vendors related to building, coding, and debugging, many open-source plug-ins, some of which you may find handy, are available for use in development.
For details, refer to the documents for the Eclipse platform and CDT plug-in on the Eclipse Web site (https://www.eclipse.org/).
Renesas is also making an expanding range of tools, such as QEs (Quick and Effective Tool Solutions), available for installation as plug-ins.
- e² studio can be downloaded and used for free.
- For Renesas Compiler, separate purchase is required.
- e² studio supports Renesas’ simulator and emulator E1, E2, E2Lite, and E20. For details, please refer to the table >>
The e² studio supports the following types of tool.
- Compilers (from Renesas and partner vendors)
- Debugging tools (simulators and emulators from Renesas and partner vendors)
- Code generators and other useful functions (e.g. the Smart Configurator)
- Development assistance tools such as QEs (Quick and Effective Tool Solutions) for particular applications
- Supports debugging function only.
- Supports SH Family device projects in V5.4.0 or earlier versions only.
Information supporting development tools
|My Renesas||Create a My Renesas account to use our tool download services, receive e-newsletter/update notifications, and take advantage of our other services.|
|e-learning||Information for studying and learning about microcontrollers and microprocessors.|
|FAQ||Frequently asked questions and useful hints for development.|
|Forum||A forum and community site to share technical information, questions and opinions with others who use Renesas MCUs.|
|Tool News||Tool release information and other important information.|
|Operating Environment||Information on system requirements and operating environment for the latest version of the tools.|
|Information on Discontinued Products||A list of Renesas software and tools that have been discontinued and are no longer being offered for new projects.|
|Tools supported for individual MCU families||Compilers|
|Code generators and other useful functions|
|Development assistance tools such as QEs (Quick and Effective Tool Solutions) for particular applications|
Tools supported for individual MCU families
Supported | — Not supported
e² studio supports C/C++ Compiler packages V2.00.01 or higher for RX family, and C Compiler packages V1.01.00 or higher for RL78 family.
If the above compiler packages for CS+ are already installed on the PC, e² studio can use them without additional installation.
GNU compiler can be installed by selecting during installation of e² studio (need connection to the Internet) or downloading from GNU compiler web page. (Refer to Notes from 2 to 4).
IAR Embedded Workbench from IAR Systems
ELF/DWARF type modules were built by IAR, Embedded Workbench of IAR Systems, and can be debugged on e² studio by installing plug-in that is downloadable from IAR Systems' download web page.
For more detail refer to Download Plugins >>
Please ask for information about IAR Embedded Workbench and compilers in the IAR Systems Website.
IAR System corporation Web Page: http://www.iar.com
ELF/DWARF type modules were built by MULTI, IDE of Green Hills Software, can be debugged on e² studio.
- e² studio supports debug functions only.
- GNU tools (GNURX, GNURL, GNUARM-NONE) can be downloaded and used for free from the following website. You can also get technical supports from the GNU Web page by registering requests in English or Japanese.
GNU TOOLS & SUPPORT: https://gcc-renesas.com/
Contact the same site with any technical inquiries regarding the GNU tools.
- If you use RZ family or Renesas Synergy™, You can user GNU Arm Embedded tool chain for free. The tool chain is downloadable from the link below.
(GCC 6.2; 6-2016-q4-major or higher version) arm Developer >>
(GCC 5.4; 5-2016-q3-update or lower version) Launchpad.net >>
Relation between GCC version and tool chain version >>
- For Renesas Synergy™, please use IAR Embedded Workbench for Renesas Synergy™ or e² studio ISDE. You can download them for free from the following website.
Renesas Synergy™ Platform >>
|Target Device||Debugging tools|
|Renesas Simulator||E2 emulator||E1 emulator||E2 emulator Lite||E20 emulator||IECUBE||Segger J-Link|
Supported | — Not supported
- Current consumption measurement function for Renesas devices via JTAG connection is under development.
- Only functions of E1 Emulator can be used for all RX devices other than RX600 and RX700.
- From e² studio version 7.0, E2 Emulator supports RH850. Only functions of E1 emulator can be used.
Code generators and other useful functions
Supported | — Support is not planned.
- For more information about supporting devices, please refer to each Smart Utilities tools page.
- Code Generator supports Synergy Software Package that is downloadable from Renesas Synergy™ Web Page. >>
Development assistance tools such as QEs (Quick and Effective Tool Solutions) for particular applications
Supported | — Not supported
- For more information about supporting devices, please refer to each QE tools page.
- Current measurement via JTAG connection is under development. Please use FINE connection for current measurement.