The ISL9238EVAL1Z evaluation board is designed to demonstrate the performance of the ISL9238 buck-boost narrow output voltage DC (NVDC) charger. The default value numbers of the battery in series, the switching frequency and the adapter current limit charging function can be programmed by the resistor from the PROG pin to GND. Those values also can be set by SMBus.
The ISL9238 buck-boost battery charger utilizes Renesas' advanced R3™ Technology to provide high light-load efficiency, fast transient response and seamless DCM/CCM transitions for a variety of mobile and industrial applications.
In charge mode, the ISL9238 takes input power from a wide range (4V to 20V) of DC power sources (conventional AC/DC charger adapters, USB PD ports, travel adapters, etc.) and safely charges battery packs with up to 4 cells in a series configuration.
The ISL9238 supports On-the-Go (OTG) function for 2- and 4-cell battery applications. When the OTG function is enabled, the ISL9238 operates in the reverse buck mode to provide 5V at the USB port.
The ISL9238 has serial communication via SMBus/I2C that allows programming of many critical parameters to deliver a customized solution. These programming parameters include, but are not limited to: adapter current limit, charger current limit, system voltage setting, and trickle charging current limit.
- Buck-boost NVDC charger for 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-cell Li-ion batteries
- End of Charge (EOC) option
- System power monitor PSYS output, IMVP-8 compliant
- PROCHOT# open-drain output, IMVP-8 compliant
- Allows trickle charging of depleted battery
- Optional ASGATE FET control
- Ideal diode control in turbo mode
- Reverse buck, boost and buck-boost operation from battery
- Two-level adapter current limit available
- Battery ship mode option
- SMBus and auto-increment I2C compatible
- 1- to 4-cell tablet, ultrabook, notebook, power bank, and any USB-C interface portable device requiring batteries
Disclaimer: THIS MATERIAL IS PROVIDED “AS-IS” FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY. RENESAS ELECTRONICS CORPORATION AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES (collectively, “Renesas”) DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND MERCHANTABILITY. Renesas provides evaluation platforms and design proposals to help our customers to develop products. However, factors beyond Renesas' control, including without limitation, component variations, temperature changes and PCB layout, could significantly affect the product performance. It is the user’s responsibility to verify the actual circuit performance.