Power line communication (PLC) is a rapidly growing market. Utilizing Renesas’ third generation of market-leading powerline communication modem solutions, this winning combination illustrates how PLC can be used in an IoT application. In this design, the Renesas RL78/I1C MCU is utilized to measure the voltage/current/phase of the AC power line. That data is then transmitted over PLC via an RL78/G13 MCU to the CPX3 modem SoC and the ISL15110 PLC line driver. These devices are powered by the ISL85415 step-down regulator; a Renesas photocoupler is also utilized to detect zero-crossings and to protect the CPX3 from potential voltage spikes.
- Can be used for any PLC protocol standard, such as PRIME 1.3.6/1.4 and G3
- Two-chip solution for PLC (CPX3 PLC modem combined with the ISL15110 line driver)
- Low power design delivers high efficiency in a small space
- RL78/I1C is designed specifically for the needs of the smart electricity meter market
- PS2561F-1 photocoupler provides 5000Vrms isolation voltage and high-speed switching
|RL78/G13||Low power, high integration general-purpose microcontrollers||RL78/G13 Hardware User's Manual||Select Specific Device|
|RL78/I1C||Microcontroller for high precision smart electricity metering||RL78/I1C Hardware User's Manual||Select Specific Device|
|R9A06G037||High performance narrow band power line communication modem IC||Datasheet||Contact Sales|
|ISL85415||Wide VIN 500mA synchronous buck regulator||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
PLC Line Driver
|ISL15110||PLC MIMO line driver||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
|PS2561FL-1||DC input/single transistor output photocoupler||Datasheet||Buy/Sample|
Renesas and IDT’s complementary product portfolios work together to deliver comprehensive solutions to our customers. This is just the beginning, with the combination of the Renesas and IDT development teams, there will more integrated solutions that provide significant advantages over traditional solutions.